Alternative Harness Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246:
Why is the chest strap needed (or even useful)? My BC came so equipped and I haven't used it since the first dive or two. (it's been lashed down out of the way, didn't cut it off, lest I void the warranty on the BC) It's not needed to keep the BC in place and is a nuisance at best, espceally in a drysuit.

A chest strap (like on my camping backpack and my SCBA) is used to keep the shoulder straps from pulling your shoulder girdle back and to keep the load on your hips not on your shoulders. Strap your rig on with/without the cheststrap (cinch waist first, then chest, then shoulders) and walk up/down hill for a while and/or try doing something with your arms extended over your head for a while. You should be able to tell a difference, but with diving, I think it can be a personal preference.

I have seen several manufactures offer a bc for woman that forms a X on the chest like previously stated.
http://www.scubal.com/content/index.php?proid=1008&catid=197&procatid=150

Groundhog246:
It also adds a potential failure point (weight of doubles set on a plastic buckle?) and the chest strap is entirely unnecessary and just gets in the way.

Yea, but the biggest potential failure point (for most people I work with) is between their ears.:05:

Cfdsmokeater:
A chest strap (like on my camping backpack and my SCBA) is used to keep the shoulder straps from pulling your shoulder girdle back and to keep the load on your hips not on your shoulders. Strap your rig on with/without the cheststrap (cinch waist first, then chest, then shoulders) and walk up/down hill for a while and/or try doing something with your arms extended over your head for a while. You should be able to tell a difference, but with diving, I think it can be a personal preference.

I have seen several manufactures offer a bc for woman that forms a X on the chest like previously stated.
http://www.scubal.com/content/index.php?proid=1008&catid=197&procatid=150

As far as the chestrap is concerned, I don't think a chest strap achieves the same goal with a camping backpack versus a BP/Wing. You're may be right about the backpack wherein you want to keep the load on your hips not on your shoulders since on land that's a plus. However, I don't feel any weight on my shoulders when I'm in the water as much as when I surface. Keeping the weight on my hips doesn't make sense underwater cause I'm horizontal. So the purpose of a chest strap can't be that. With a crotch strap, the rig stays put so it doesn't "lift up" as a jacket style would. If you have one continous webbing for the harness, the chest strap is superfluous.

Which leads me to the x on the chest. Again if the harness is made of one continous webbing, there does not need to be any x like the OMS rig. Rigging a BP/Wing can be seen below:

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

That ISIS back inflate with the X on front would be impossible to get out off without the quick release buckle. Again with a continous webbing, all you need to do is slip on hand under the same side shoulder strap ... and you're out (that's also the reason why the amount of play between the shoulder strap and your chest should be enough to allow you to slip your hand through. Why anyone would want to have an X on front is beyond me. It would seem to defeat the purpose of a harness (nothing up front). The picture below shows a properly rigged BP with a one piece harness.

Cfdsmokeater:
but with diving, I think it can be a personal preference.

It is my preference because 1) It is what Im use to, and 2) I do mostly shore diving here in WV. BUT, when in the water, I can't rationalize any real good reason for one.

As for the "X", I can't think of any reason why this would be beneficial

Cfdsmokeater:
It is my preference because 1) It is what Im use to, and 2) I do mostly shore diving here in WV. BUT, when in the water, I can't rationalize any real good reason for one.

As for the "X", I can't think of any reason why this would be beneficial

X marks the spot?:D

If you do shore dives, the chest strap would be a benefit perhaps even strap pads.

crossing behind the neck is helpful for smaller-shouldered folks. i started out uncrossed and the straps hit me on the upper arms and ate them slam up. with the straps crossed, they hit on my collarbones like they're sposdta.

I'd guess that's what the chest strap is supposed to do also. Shoulder straps on mine are mounted close enough together that the chest strap is totally unnecessary (IMHO). And most of my diving is shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom