Alternate strap for Suunto D6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my 12" strap will just fit over my 7mm suit but does not have enough length for my drysuit , I have a 16" one for that

There are a few 17'' ones I have seen on the net, Look at the Maratrac / Broad Arrow Site, you can buy the Adapters with or without a strap.
If enough people want the 17'' ones I can order a bunch, but like I said the Min order would be 100, So there has to be more than one or two people that want them.

Also, the website is up, the D6's are on there, and the D9's will be done by the middle of next month.
Home - Tibby Adapters

The D6's cost $65.00 USD but that includes the shipping by registered mail.
If you are a Dive professional who is working, the price is $50.00 USD. shipping still included
(you have to prove your working though)
The D9's will probably be only 5 dollars more even though they are made from Titanium,

BTW: All the sets will come with Four 24mm Stainless Steel Spring Bars, (spring is stainless too) so even if you loose or break one, you have two spares.
If anyone wants some, Send me a message here, or email me through the site.

Attachments

• Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10172.jpg
    Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10172.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 459
  • Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10173.jpg
    Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10173.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10179.jpg
    Tibby Suunto D6 Strap Adapters - NATO Strap10179.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 326
What is the effect of the adapters, extra watch pins on the electronic compass? Any idea? Not that I use it a lot, but it would be good to test if there is any effect at all, or will it be removed by the manual calibration?
Still, it is a great fix :thumbs_up: that never should have to be made in the first place, if Suunto did their job well.

I would like to be able to give a better answer here, but to be Honest, I dont use the compass much at all.
I'm not sure if it has changed, but years ago the accuracy of Digital compasses was only about 12-14 degrees, depending on what manufacturer was printing directions...

I use an analogue compass if I need one, plain and simple, Needle/Card and movable Bezel so you can set a Bearing.
The one in the D6 and the D9 are too easy to screw up, the Tilt error (supposedly fixed in the new i Series) short display time, and being extremely susceptible to local Magnetic attraction all combine to make me carry a separate one with a needle.

I'll try a few tests though, and see if I can see any difference between with them on, and off.
I suspect however that calibrating it with them on would compensate for them easily.
If the Battery doesn't effect it, the extra 316 stainless that I had these made out of shouldn't.

But I'll let you know,

Cheers
Duke

Reactions: D_B
Can't wait 'til the straps for the D9 are available...I'm already hearing good things thru the 'grape-vine' about divers who bought D6 straps...Good work :cool2:.....

Re the Digital compass.

I tried it out (not U/W) in the yard, I cant see any real deviation between a pattern set with 6 legs with the adapters on, and the same one run with the adapters.
There seems to be a slight deviation either way, I did it out and Back 3 times, both with and without the adapters.
I still came within a few meters of where I started in either configuration.

Thinking I needed a better Base line for the experiment, I also did it Blind, with a compass, it would appear that I do much more accurate work with a real compass, because when using a Silva Ranger, and a baseball cap as a shield, I came within a foot of my mark both times.
I would suspect that any deviation is inherent in the digital compass itself.
I also even went so far as to use a level to balance the D6 on so i could make sure it was exactly level.
So there was no deviation caused from that either.

Since the Adapters are made from 316 Stainless, the same as a good diving watch, the spring bars are also supposed to be 100% Stainless, I don't think these things have any affect the compass at all.

Reactions: D_B
Yes I did, one at the beginning of the first out-back, then once at the farthest point from my house, on the way back on the second try.
Either way, the Digital compass has a large error factor.
Both with and without the adaptors.

yeah, I think electronic compasses should not be relied on except as a general direction guide ... you really should have an analog primary
(although showing this does not affect the digital one is very important as well)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom