Alright, why can't I trim full horizontal? Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. Lots of good advice to be had in here. You could try some weight pockets that can be attached to the tank band (or elsewhere) as an alternative to better balance yourself. XS Scuba sells these among other brands.

As you mentioned that you are about to acquire your own BCD, also consider investing in a BP/W kit. That usually does the trick :wink:.

@Imla makes a good point!

I had a Halcyon wing that I've since sold. If I stayed a little head high, it was fine. As soon as I got flat, I would start to turn head down. So, I ended up swimming around with my body at an angle, head high, because I actually needed a tail weight. Or a different wing - the route I went with.

I used to dive with a ScubaPro Nighthawk, which had weight pockets on the hips and trim weight pockets at shoulder level. I found I was perfectly balanced with the same amount of weight in all pockets.

In fact...

In salt water with a 3mm suit and AL 80, I used 8 pounds, and I loved a 2-2-2-2 distribution. I was once on a dive boat that had nothing but 4-pound weights, and I was not sure what to do. I finally decided to dive grossly overweighted: 4-4-4-4. I had very nice dives, and that was what convinced me that getting the proper trim was more important than being perfectly weighted.

Well, I'm just a poor military guy. I'm in the VA program, so I'll get an allotment of gear when I complete DM in August. They choose, for the most part, what you get in the allotment. It'll be an Aqualung i3 BCD, with weight pockets on the cam band. But the rental gear has those now, so I'm used to putting weight in there now.

I'll try using less weight in the bcd pockets tonight, and experiment with not using the cam band pockets, but strapping some weight to the shoulders, and see how that does. Glad I can practice all I want in the pool.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The posts about guns have been removed. They are off topic. Please feel free to PM each other about it.

There is some good advice here to try. Another thing to look at is body trim. Sometimes divers arch their back to tilt their heads up more and creates what you're talking about also. It's hard to get used the change in angle for what you see when diving and what you're used to when walking.

I'm assuming you've already played around with the tank placement in your harness or BCD. If not, there is some room to move the tank up or down a bit, which will change your trim. I know some BCDs have that keeper strap that goes over the valve and kind of forces you to put the tank in one spot, but even there you can adjust that strap.

If your tank is too low you will certainly be more heads up than if it's set a bit higher. Sometimes it's a matter of less than an inch.

Using a trim pocket on the upper cam band worked for me but don't overlook your leg and arm position - they also influence trim. If you can get someone to video you you'll be way ahead of the game.

Birddog,

Someone already mentioned an ankle weight on your tank valve - seriously, try it. It's easy on and off and one pound up there can do wonders. And it's only one pound so not grossly affecting your weighting. Also, being centered between your shoulders it doesn't affect your tilt.

boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom