Alpha "Dive" Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not meaning to question the interpretation; rather I was stating that I have always mis-interpreted the rule.

Waterskier1

The actual interpretation of the reg is 1 meter in height this means above the highest portion of your boat. Flag size is established by specific dimension using a ratio somewhere around 8 X 11.
In otherwords if a flag 16 in deep it should be 22 in length. The flags sold online are set to International standards for that ratio.

TG

Waterskier1

The actual interpretation of the reg is 1 meter in height this means above the highest portion of your boat. Flag size is established by specific dimension using a ratio somewhere around 8 X 11.
In otherwords if a flag 16 in deep it should be 22 in length. The flags sold online are set to International standards for that ratio.

TG

Can you provide reference to that?

In Annex I, Positioning and Technical Details, of the Nav Rules (72 COLREGS), when they talk about height of an object, the refer either to "height above the hull of not less...." or "height above the gunwale.....".

Here the quote I provided is talking about the flag. It goes on to to state "Measures shall be taken to insure its all-round visibility".

I truly appreciate your concern and all this will be weighed before each dive. Most of this will be on inland lakes where drifting, if it should occur will be noticed and not far. Even if there is someone on board ready to operate the boat, I don't want the hassle of them having to fire up the boat, pull anchor, and maneuver out of the way of a sail boat or some other give-way vessel if we are not considered restricted in ability to maneuver. Pulling anchor and moving away from the dive site for that reason, especially if you are not sure when the divers might be surfacing, is not wise. And to do it simply so you don't have the fly the Alpha flag is foolish, IMHO.

If you're at anchor, you're the stand on vessel, unless you're in a navigable channel.

I have never seen a 1 meter flag. Generally, the red/white flag suffices, unless you are a commercial vessel. I've seen my share of dive boats and I have some insight - I was a CG boarding officer.

From the rules, the only time the "recreational dive flag" (red & white) is mentioned is for divers that are in the water. It is not even mentioned in the COLREGS that I can find. I must admit that inland, I haven't seen a flag that large. But then, most of our boats are under 38 feet also.

Your final quote states it. The measure (the ratio I was talking about) is visible 360 degrees. Nautical measurements are length and depth, height is measurment of staff or rigging. The term rigid is a referral to "Full Furl". This is usual accomplishied with a rigid wire running from outside top corner to lower mast corner.

TG

Ummm, thanks for all the info on what flags mean. I know that all too well. My question isn't "what do the flags mean" or "when do I fly them". It asks how are those of you who are complying with the USCG (Inland and International) Rules #27 doing so? Indeed, my vessel will be limited in it's ability to maneuver since I, the skipper, will be under it diving. Likely no one else will be on board.
Hopefully, in that case you will have anchored your boat and will be displaying the appropriate signals to indicate that you are anchored. That takes precedence over the requirement to display alpha --- an anchored boat has less ability to maneuver than one with divers attached.

My interpretation is that the alpha flag is only required if you are underway with divers attached -- as in conducting surface supplied operation.

Back
Top Bottom