Alor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh...with Alor Dive (alor-dive.com), Dive Alor (alordiver.com - I think that this is the Australian operation that Andy from Germay mentioned), Alor Divers (Eco Dive; alor-divers.com) and a few others with similar names, things can get very confusing.

Looking at the websites, Alor Divers is more expensive than Alor Dive and the conditions in July/August (especially August) seem like they could be good, but maybe there is a slightly greater risk of wind and reduced vis. I think that I need to weigh an Alor land-based trip against a Komodo liveaboard.

Ahhh...with Alor Dive (alor-dive.com), Dive Alor (alordiver.com - I think that this is the Australian operation that Andy from Germay mentioned), Alor Divers (Eco Dive; alor-divers.com) and a few others with similar names, things can get very confusing.

Looking at the websites, Alor Divers is more expensive than Alor Dive and the conditions in July/August (especially August) seem like they could be good, but maybe there is a slightly greater risk of wind and reduced vis. I think that I need to weigh an Alor land-based trip against a Komodo liveaboard.

Hello Jason, here's a couple of things you might want to keep in mind. Land based diving with the German operation will be much cheaper than any Komodo LOB and having been both places, I like Alor a bit better. After doing a lot of research on all the operations, I chose Thomas's, the German operation. He is the only full time dive operator on the island, everybody else is seasonal, and his local knowledge is thus extensive. He has a big, comfortable boat with a really great ladder, they're more like steps actually, and a real enthusiasm for his job. My second choice was the Eco resort, but I didn't like the idea of having to do my 3rd dive on the house reef when there are so many amazing dives elsewhere, nor did I like the price. But, if I were with a girlfriend or wife, I would probably pick them just for the ambiance.

If you want an honest answer about the conditions at any time of the year, Thomas will tell you. He is very honest and straight forward and speaks English very well. Here's the site address, in case you get confused by all the like sounding names:

Diving in Alor

Good luck, -Andy

I dived with Thomas from Alor Dive last mid Nov and was quite lucky to have sunny days during my week there.

A good operator with excellent knowledge of the dive sites would be optimum for diving Alor. We had great time in Alor and thanks to Thomas I have the best Alor dive in Kal's Dream! It's simply amazing with huge schools of fish and excellent visibility!!

Some of the dive sites in Alor really reminded me of Raja Ampat...pristine healthy corals with many fishes. Generally I feel the visibility in Alor tops Raja Ampat.

HI JASON,
I enjoyed diving with La Petite Kepa. It is a small island close to Kahabali and run by a French couple. I stayed around 2 weeks and had a great time at their eco friendly resort.They have a website so take a look. It was in July and the vis was fantastic. every dive with around 40 meters.I work in the Bunaken Manado area and in general I thought July was much better there than in my neck of the woods. Take care and have a good time.
stephen

I have no idea if it is too late, but I will dive with Thomas in 2 Weeks. I will write a review (also for the other destinations). I will be back end of March.
happy bubbles

I have no idea if it is too late, but I will dive with Thomas in 2 Weeks. I will write a review (also for the other destinations). I will be back end of March.
happy bubbles

it's never too late to write a review. Do write one, one of us will need it! :thumbs_up:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom