Alor, Raja or Malaccas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many thanks for the info Guys. Looks like work is playing up and I'll not be able to go till mid october, but I'll have more time :)

So, definatly going to head to Alor, and thinking of tacking on a trip to Ambon. Does anyone know of any other operators than Maluku Divers in the Ambon area?

Just off to sell my soul to the devil to pay for next years LOB to RA.......

Cheers

Olly

'In my experience they are always spotted a week before I arrive...' Ha ha! Yes I've had that a few times too.....

Just replying to myself....

This forum is magic! Found the a trip report about Blue Rose Divers from here on another website, so all good, but now thinking of binning Alor and doing Ambon and Kie islands instead.

Anyone been there? Can't find a dive centre, or anything else for that matter, but looks nice!

So many places, so little time.......

Laters

Olly

Ramadan starts on August 11 and will end, more or less, one month later. I vote for RA! Lived in Indo for 10 years and it is what I dream about.

Holidays are
09 September 2010 Cuti bersama Idul Fitri / Public Leave
10-11 September 2010 Hari Raya Idul Fitri
13 September 2010 Cuti Bersama Idul Fitri / Public Leave
17 November Idul Adha / Eid al-Adha

As you are coming late September the flights should be getting back to normal, but still peak season for tourists.

You should be able to do both Alor and Maluku in the 3 weeks or even 2 1/2. lots of time in airports.

Raja Empat and Maluku a lot easier to do in the 2 weeks. Direct flight from Sorong to Ambon now.

Land based operators in Raja Papua Diving
Main page and
Dive Resort Indonesia | Scuba Diving Raja Ampat | Misool Eco Resort

have dived all 3 places.

My pick is definitely Raja Empat and Maluku.

a. Easier travel between destinations
b. Less time spent waiting in Airports
c. Raja is a must on anyones hits list . great diversification of fish and corals

Maumere and hammerheads in the same sentence very doubtful unless the word no is put in it.

Now in two weeks if I had by choices I would, be doing
Bali and Ambon ( September still a chance for Mola Molas), or
Manado and Ambon (critters - Lembeh / or bunaken or 3 days Bunaken and 3 days Lembeh)

Thans for that Wayan, unfortunatly RA is just looking too expensive for the moment..... One day!

Ambon is certain, just need to decide for the rest of the time. Or pack in the job and win the lotto.....

Olly

Just a heads up, because I wish someone would have told me this before I went on my last trip to Indo: Avoid Merpati Airlines like the plague...(I have been on them 5-6 times now) If you have the option of flying Garuda, even though it is more expensive, take it. Air Asia, of course, as well. Merpati, during my 3 flights last year, had one cancelled (lost a whole day in Alor), as well as one 4 and one 5 hour delay. I cannot stand them and will plan my next trip(s) out there such that I don't ever have to be on one of their flights again. Express Air has smaller but newer planes, I believe...Merpati has older, junky 737's (for getting to Sorong). Haha, I repeat...avoid Merpati.

Oh, one more heads up: If you can avoid Denpasar as a point of entry into Indonesia (if you aren't going to Bali), I suggest doing it...of course, you'll need an airport that grants visas-on-arrival...but those lines for visas are just awful in Denpasar if you hit them at the wrong times...

So..... thanks again for the replies, been trying to work out travel and its looking complicated and time consuming to get from Ambon to Alor, so heeding the advice given I've been looking for destinations (sort of!) en route.

Taka Bone Rate anyone?!? Marine Park, UNESCO site, apparently one dive resort and no information....

Get there through Makassar and a long boat journey. Second largest coral island in the world.

If anyone has been there it would be great to hear from you!

Olly

So..... thanks again for the replies, been trying to work out travel and its looking complicated and time consuming to get from Ambon to Alor, so heeding the advice given I've been looking for destinations (sort of!) en route.

Taka Bone Rate anyone?!? Marine Park, UNESCO site, apparently one dive resort and no information....

Get there through Makassar and a long boat journey. Second largest coral island in the world.

If anyone has been there it would be great to hear from you!

Olly

If you are still intending to head to Alor then stop of in Bali or Gili Trawangan for some diving. . . .

Tak Bone Rate was not that good a number of years ago . . . . lots and lots of flies in the northern part of the park. Corals average.

Hi bananas75,

although I don't like to disagree with a local (Wayan), I won't recommend Gili Trawangan to do some diving.
Reasons:
- It's not really on the way to Alor (in case you plan to go to Alor) as you usually will fly from Bali to Kupang and not from Lombok
- In my oppinion diving there is not as good as on Bali and of course far from diving on Alor or other parts of (East-) Indonesia

The bonus side of the Gilis of course is that it's a good place for backpackers to have a party or two ;-)

In short: Go to Bali and do some diving and/or relaxing there!

Have fun,

Andy

If you are still intending to head to Alor then stop of in Bali or Gili Trawangan for some diving. . . .

Tak Bone Rate was not that good a number of years ago . . . . lots and lots of flies in the northern part of the park. Corals average.

Cheers for the replies, that sucks about Tak Bone Rate, flies I can handle, dodgy coral is different....

I stopped off in Trawangan for four days on the back of nine or so days in Komodo last year. Did one dive, got depressed and hit the bars. Haha, just kidding about the depression!

Might try and still try and get to Alor, if not Liberty and surrounds and then a few days falling off a surfboard in south Bali.

Olly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom