Alor, Raja or Malaccas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bananas75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

Looking for some general opinions about where to go, the choices are Alor, Raja or Mal. Has anyone been to all three and have any advice? Aiming to head out towards the end September, so all a bit last minute. I was out that way last year, took in Palau Aceh, Bunaken, Komodo and the Gillis (the last was for a bit of RnR :cool2:). I've probabaly only got two or possibly three weeks, so don't imagine I can do all three. So any opinions?!?

Many thanks,
Olly

P.S. Does anyone know when Eade is this year, got caught at the end last time in Lauban Bajo and couldn't leave to a week, although given the diving it wasn't too much of a disaster!

What's your pricepoint? I've been to both RA (if you are indeed talking about Raja Ampat) and Alor. Sorry, no Moluccas (I assume this is what you're talking about, maybe not...). Malaccas is a place in Malaysia, I think...are you talking about that?

And sorry, forgot to add...if you are talking about doing all 3, forget it. If you are talking about doing 2, forget it. Unless you get joy out annoying flights, frequent delays and cancellations, overweight bag fees, chain-smoking in airports and the constant porter hustle...stick to just one of those places if you just have 2 weeks...you will be losing out on a tremendous amount of diving otherwise. RA and Alor are big enough to get 2+ weeks out of diving.

Thanks NYB, I was talking about Raja Ampat and Molucass.

Price range is medium, quite happy to rough it a bit, in fact I think luxury is fairly pointless. I would rather spend the money getting somewhere amazing than having air con. Just been reading about RA, seems set up for Liveaboards, which are out of my price range, how's the day diving?

Having spent several day sitting in Indonesian airports last year I understand the issues, but if I could do two of the three I'd be a very happy camper!

Cheers

Olly

Hi bananas75,

I just can second NYB. Trying to do more than one location within Indonesia within just 2 weeks is next to impossible unless they are "on the way", e.g. Bali and Alor but not what you plan.
I don't think you would enjoy this, and, especially when travelling away from the normal tourist routes, you should always plan 2 days as a "safety stop" on your "departure location" before your international flight. Domestic flights in Indonesia are often delayed and get cancelled on short notice.

Now about diving: I haven't been to RA or the Moluccas but I can say something about Alor. Alor offers plenty of small stuff, intact corals with all it's inhabitants and good visibility. In addition to this you have a chance to see big schools of Thuna, (at least on the surface) dolphins, jumping sail-fish and other interesting animals.
Note that there can be strong currents but, as you dove Komodo, that shouldn't bother you too much.

HTH,

Andy

Cheers Andy,

I've now had a look at flights and such (and also read through other posts.....) and realise that you're both right, getting to two places is going to be a logistical nightmare!

So, thinking of just going to Alor, and if I get itchy feet stopping on the way back at Maumere. I have a vague memory of someone mentioning hammerheads and Maumere in the same sentence last year, has anyone experienced it? Also is Alor more of a muck destination, or are there plenty of Pelagics?

Olly

Ok, from experience going to both places, my really quick thoughts...

In Alor, I think you have the chance to 'see it all'. Will you? Probably not. You see dolphin (even jumping out of the water) every day at the surface, usually multiple times a day if you are out for the whole day. I was fortunate enough to see them underwater during one dive. Saw large dogtooth tuna, bumpheads, large school of black snapper, etc. Coral is very nice on many dives and there are masses of fish on many as well. It also offers some of the most varied, unique diving I've ever done. Caves with flashlight fish, Clown Valley w/ it's sq km of anemones, etc. Also has muck diving critter stuff. I dove with Thomas of Alor Dive (make sure it's the German website). Thomas has some pretty amazing pictures - repeat, you do have a chance to see it all there (except for pygmy seahorses, I think). We did see a Mola Mola at the surface so they are definitely there. Same with Sailfish. It has fantastic vis (much better than RA). Also, it's a very inexpensive place to stay and Thomas is very reasonable with dive prices. Just DO NOT expect much English speaking, Ritz-accomodations or trash-free water in the Kalabahi bay area. Also has the strongest currents I've been in. Synopsis: Highly recommended, can't wait to return.

Raja Ampat lives up to it's name but it's far more expensive (expect at $200+ a day, more than 2x the price of Alor). The masses of fish are there, the schooling jack, sharks, best coral you can find, etc. I'm not sure you truly have the chance to see everything but you can expect to see plenty of unique things, eg Walking Sharks and Wobbegongs on many dives. What you read about the place is true. Topside, it has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. Land-based options at RA are expensive (as are the LOB's like you know). Synopsis: Highly recommended, can't wait to return.

Can give you more info on Alor if you want...hope that helps!

Last year in July I did a lob in Komodo (Mona Lisa) and I went also to Maumere for some landbased diving (Ankermi). I liked the place very much bit I wouldn't consider Maumere as a hammerhead-place. I saw some photos of hammerheads in Maumere but I would rather say that they appear not regulary. In my experience they are always spotted a week before I arrive...That said Ankermi is a very nice place. You have reefs and you have nice muck near the coast.

Hi Olly,

although NotYetBend said it all about Alor in his post from 04:00am you asked me about an oppinion and here it is.
NotYetBend, as I mentioned, said it all about Alor. You have a chance to see literally everything big, even if it's "only" on the surface but as always there's a lot of luck involved. I did many dives on Alor during lots of trips (always with Thomas of ALOR DIVE, Tauchen in Alor) but never was lucky to see a dolphin under water while diving.
The currents, as mentioned, can be really strong but Thomas knows the area well enough to choose a "safe" divesite.

HTH,

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom