Alor or Komodo for my next trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, everyone

After travelling to Manado, Lembeh, Saparua, Ambon, Raja Ampat and Maratua, I am organizing my next vacation.

I am thinking about Komodo or Alor. Which one do you suggest?

Depends. Do you want a zoo (Komodo) or walk in the park (Alor)?

I’ve been in Komodo 3x, Alor once. Will be back to Alor in Sep 2019 on Ring of Fire passage. (Maumere, Alor, Gunung Api, Manuk, Banda & Ambon).

I’ve been in Raja Ampat 6x, so am thinking of going elsewhere in 2020. I’ve been in East Kalimantan once. I may go back there again in 2020. Check out these videos:

Last edited:
About the Ring of Fire passage. I’m gathering my gang to go with the best liveaboard operator for the area, White Manta Diving - Home. You can see the following promotional video of the trip here:

This “Ring of Fire” region is also known as the Cocos of Indonesia with schooling of hammerheads, but with additional incredible natural phenomenon to see other than the fish, like active volcano island, schooling of sea snakes in Manuk island as shown by Jonathan Bird of Blue World here:

The detail of trip itinerary can be found here: White Manta Diving - Banda Sea & Ring of fire

The trip date will be from 9 to 19 of September, 2019 (trip code: BMROF1) with KM Blue Manta, White Manta Diving - KM Blue Manta

I have a group of 3 so far. Need 3 more nutty divers who love to dive in Indonesia like you & me. If you are interested, PM me for more detail group rate that I can get you.

Time is of the essence. 3 cabin’s are already booked. I’m reserving another 3 cabins. The sooner you decide, the better chance you get it.

Good luck & have fun diving in Indonesia!

Last edited:
Another buddy just confirmed to join this Ring of Fire trip. So, I get 4 now. Looking for 2 more.

Here is the latest White Manta Diving trip video of Ring of Fire :

I heard thresher sharks, whales, dolphins and mola-mola are commonly seen there too. Here is a video of Alor Dolphin I took in Alor in 2012:

Depends. Do you want a zoo (Komodo) or walk in the park (Alor)?

I’ve been in Komodo 3x, Alor once. Will be back to Alor in Sep 2019 on Ring of Fire passage. (Maumere, Alor, Gunung Api, Manuk, Banda & Ambon).

I’ve been in Raja Ampat 6x, so am thinking of going elsewhere in 2020. I’ve been in East Kalimantan once. I may go back there again in 2020. Check out these videos:

Hi Dan_T, what month (in terms of diving ) do you recommend Maratua/Sangalaki?

About the Ring of Fire passage. I’m gathering my gang to go with the best liveaboard operator for the area, White Manta Diving - Home. You can see the following promotional video of the trip here:

This “Ring of Fire” region is also known as the Cocos of Indonesia with schooling of hammerheads, but with additional incredible natural phenomenon to see other than the fish, like active volcano island, schooling of sea snakes in Manuk island as shown by Jonathan Bird of Blue World here:

The detail of trip itinerary can be found here: White Manta Diving - Banda Sea & Ring of fire

The trip date will be from 9 to 19 of September, 2019 (trip code: BMROF1) with KM Blue Manta, White Manta Diving - KM Blue Manta

I have a group of 3 so far. Need 3 more nutty divers who love to dive in Indonesia like you & me. If you are interested, PM me for more detail group rate that I can get you.

Time is of the essence. 3 cabin’s are already booked. I’m reserving another 3 cabins. The sooner you decide, the better chance you get it.

Good luck & have fun diving in Indonesia!

Update: The trip is fully booked.
I ended up with a group of 12 & the boat is full in more than 14 months in advance. :D

Last edited:

Hi ppina
I've been to both and they are both great for critters and some big stuff. Similar reef topography with pinnacles, walls and mucky slopes. Also similar temps and water clarity

Komodo I think is definitely better for mantas and reef sharks but in Alor you can see hammerheads, mola mola and other big fish.
Komodo you have the dragons and land tour, Alor diving with kids and some fabulous pier diving
Alor will have fewer divers

both can have some hairy currents so choose a reputable operator!

I have heard good things about Alor Divers, i dived ther on liveaboard though (Damai in Alor and Indo Siren in Komodo)
if you decide upon Komodo then I'd definitely take a liveaboard as you get to experience more of the area and dive places such as Nusa Kode where typically the land based operators do not go. Going back to Komodo in 2020 on Samambaia

Hello, everyone

After travelling to Manado, Lembeh, Saparua, Ambon, Raja Ampat and Maratua, I am organizing my next vacation.

All Star Liveaboards recently had a cancellation on our April 17-May 1 Banda Sea itinerary. This is a transition trip from Ambon-Maumere 14 nights and the trip cost is $5880. There are only 4 spaces remaining!

If you are wanting to visit the Alor region, this itinerary will go through the Alor Strait, Nusa Laut, Banda Islands, Snake Island, and East Flores. We also mix in some really interesting cultural shore excursions. You can view the uploaded sample itinerary that was a 12 night Ambon-Maumere trip. The 14 night will allow for additional exploration of this region.

www.allstarliveaboards.com/aurora
aurora@allstarliveaboards.com

ASL Indonesia.jpg

Attachments

• BANDA SEA Ambon-Maumere (12 nights) ASL.pdf
    321.1 KB · Views: 144

Back
Top Bottom