Alor--and other add-on suggestions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

brownie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello!

I've been to Indonesia 5 or 6 times over the years: liveaboards in RA, Komodo, Forgotten Islands, and land-based in Lembeh, Bunaken, Nusa Penida, Tulamben. Last trip to Indo was 9 years ago.

Thinking of travelling to Alor this October-November, if space is available, for 2 weeks of land-based diving, a few questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that Jakarta-Kupang-Alor is about the best flight connection? Alternatively, I can't seem to find many flights Denpasar-Kupang-Alor. DPS is my preference, but I will book international flights around CGK if need be.

2. After diving Alor, is there another great dive destination close by (maybe 1 direct flight away, via Kupang). I don't want a long, circuitous trek. I'm in my 70's now, and tire easily.

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips.

2. After diving Alor, is there another great dive destination close by (maybe 1 direct flight away, via Kupang). I don't want a long, circuitous trek. I'm in my 70's now, and tire easily.
Labuan Bajo for Komodo NP : Wings air does 2 flights per day from Kupang, one short stop in Ende.
Bali : LionAir does at least 2 flights per day.
I wouldn't recommend Maumere at all, no fish anymore, dive operations are a bit run down.

Yes Jakarta-Kupang is supposed to be the best connexion for Alor.
Now Alor diving can be quite demanding I wouldn't suggest doing the whole trip from abroad in one go. Overnighting in Jakarta or Kupang (or both that's what I did a few weeks ago) allows your tired/jetlagged body have a nice rest before diving Bama Wall or Yellow Korner.
Take a rest at Jakarta Airport hotel, if you go through Bali at Novotel Ngurah Rai. When overnighting in Kupang, Sotis hotel would be my recommandation, new and most comfortable downtown.

Luko has it. I prefer La Hacienda for my overnight stay - close to the airport with a nice rooftop restaurant/bar but not at all “new”.

I am booked Jakarta Kupang Alor next month. Was possible to do it all in one go but decided to do as Luko suggests and overnight in Kupang to recover.

There are no good DPS ARD flights. The return works well however so adding Bali after is a good option.

Luko has it. I prefer La Hacienda for my overnight stay - close to the airport with a nice rooftop restaurant/bar but not at all “new”.

I am booked Jakarta Kupang Alor next month. Was possible to do it all in one go but decided to do as Luko suggests and overnight in Kupang to recover.

There are no good DPS ARD flights. The return works well however so adding Bali after is a good option.
Thank you @Darnold9999

Wishing you a wonderful trip next month!

We actually did the DPS-ARD with a stop over in Kupang - was supposed to be just a quick stop, but 3 days before our flight they cancelled the afternoon flight from Kupang-Alor.
They then put us on the morning flight the same day- before our flight from DPS was set for departure.

I ended up calling them and changed our DPS-Kupang to 1 day earlier, so we spent a night in Kupang and reached Alor on the planned day.

If you already plan on going internationally to DPS you could spend the night in Kupang and fly to Alor, then back and spend some time in Bali.
We did Komodo after Alor and had a great time.

We actually did the DPS-ARD with a stop over in Kupang - was supposed to be just a quick stop, but 3 days before our flight they cancelled the afternoon flight from Kupang-Alor.
They then put us on the morning flight the same day- before our flight from DPS was set for departure.

I ended up calling them and changed our DPS-Kupang to 1 day earlier, so we spent a night in Kupang and reached Alor on the planned day.

If you already plan on going internationally to DPS you could spend the night in Kupang and fly to Alor, then back and spend some time in Bali.
We did Komodo after Alor and had a great time.

They always cancel the afternoon flight Kupang to Alor. Do not know why they still offer it - it never actually flies. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago - the resort operators will tell you not to book that flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom