Alona Beach questions (diveshops, housing, etc) and Moalboal!??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySpit

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK. In 7 weeks I leave for Cebu City. I am planning on staying somewhere in the Cebu City area during June and July for Rescue and EFR classes, and find a DM internship. I have been leaning towards Alona Beach, Panglao. However, I have some questions...

DM Internship: I am used to diveshops in Thailand and Central America who are competing heavily for business and offer some good programs at decent prices. However, after looking at some of the websites in and around Alona Beach, I am finding a lot of diveshops don't seem to offer a DM internship option. I also don't see that they offer much in the way of "incentives" for students to get DM cert'd with their outfit (unlimited diving during cert, provide equipment, etc). I am planning on emailing some diveshops this week and start asking around, but does anyone have any suggestions or contact info for diveshops that might suit my needs? Because I have 2 months, I am really looking for a place who can give me a real feel for how a diveshop operates, that will teach me a lot, and allow me to get a lot of dives in during my two months...I want the entire experience!

Housing: Also, I am looking for an INEXPENSIVE place to rent while I am there. It will be only for me, but I am hoping to find something with a kitchen so I can cook my own food and a hot shower so I don't feel like a scumbag all the time :) Are there many places like that on the Island? When I was in Central America I found that it was really easy to find monthly rentals, is that similar near Alona Beach? In the event that I can't find a monthly rental like this, I'll probably opt for renting just a standard bungalow or room. Someone gave me Isis Bungalows and Flower Garden Resort as options, does anyone have any other suggestions or contact info for other places?

Moalboal: Lastly, if anyone thinks that I might have better luck in Moalboal finding something that suits my needs better, please let me know. I am definitely going to dive Moalboal while I am in Cebu (or more precisely, I will DEFINITELY be diving Pescador Island, out of Moalboal) But from what I can tell, Panglao is more what I am looking for in a longer stay as far as beauty, atmosphere, relaxation, etc. Again, any and all suggestions are appreciated!

I can't help you with the DM internship but do shop around since there are many dive shops concentrated there competing with one another. If you speak Korean, make sure to mention that.

As for housing, as you walk back up the hill towards the main road and away from Alona beach you encounter cheaper accommodations. I can't remember the exact names (sorry!) but shoot a PM off to Giligan (the one who wrote the thread on getting a visa extension in Bohol) since he's staying there long term right now and knows a few places over there. He's a nice chap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom