Aloha RMO Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebum Don

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Thanks Robint for suggesting I post here when I head out for parts east. Well we're shove'n'off for New Mex from SoCal on Thursday and hope to dive B/H or Perch Lake (as well as Eagle Nest lake) around the 1st'o'August. Schedule is open. From what I read, I should avoid the weekends, sounds good. I guess "Stella's" is the shop in town? Gotta link? I know I need to get a waiver from the city... What else??? I'm bringing gear appropriate for altitude and an U/W Vid Cam. Perfectly comfortable solo diving (1,000+ dives), any tour guides available around the first of the month?.

TIA, Don

Hi Divebum,

Perch lake has 8-10' vis right now, lots of algae in the water due to the hot weather. So it is dive-able, but not great.

Stella is a part timer, she works weekends. If you need air / tanks on the week days you need to make arrangements with her. She is a really nice person, very helpful, but her "shop" is a shack with a compressor and a very limited supply of rental gear.

Avoid the weekends, but one option if you are arriving on the 1st and need tanks is to pick them up from Stella Sunday afternoon and dive on Monday. You should have the place to yourself in the morning until 10 and mostly swimmers after that. Night dives at the B/H are really nice.

Let us know what day you plan on diving, I might be able to break away. If not, diving the hole is extremely simple. I would get the permit form off the internet and complete it before you arrive. That way if you don't make contact with town hall before hand (they are closed on weekends) and they check permits, you can just hand it to them.

yeah, what Doug said. :D

the weekends do tend to be crazy, starting around 11am, but earlier than that it is okay. It all depends on how many OW classes are there.
Stella will not be there filling tanks from her shack unless there are divers. Best place to rent tanks and wts is in Albuquerque at one of the 3 dive shops. There are several hotels in town, be sure to shop around as prices do vary quite a bit. Some have a diver's rate. Bring a cooler with you with food and beverages as there is NOTHING at Blue Hole except a filthy bathroom. Bring a folding chair and sunshade if you have one.

One thing to be aware of also, crime. Diving there when it is dead (during the week) is not necessarily the best as there are thugs who will cruise through the parking lot looking for things to steal. You are better off diving there when there are other divers around. If you are there by yourself, be sure to lock up your vehicle and leave nothing of value out. We usually try to stagger people being in/out of water so someone is always there as a guard. The City of Santa Rosa does nothing to help with this problem, police cars will drive through but never stop or say anything to anyone.

Me and Ron are in NC from 23rd until 29th, so I don't think we can meet you over there that week. We will still be rinsing gear and downloading photos and videos. :D Ron is supposed to teach OW class/pool the 7th/8th and then Blue Hole dives the 14th/15th weekend. If you want to come over that weekend I will be available to dive with you. How long are you going to be in NM?

If you haven't checked out my photos and videos yet: BLUE HOLE Photos

robin:D

Thanks folks for your hospitality.

Robin an' Ron, hope you have a great trip to NC "wreckin'it". My schedule looks like dives in S/R either 2Aug, or 9Aug? Thanks for the Stella info, and the "heads up" on early Waiver compliance. I'm drivin', so all my favorite gear/tanks/cams, firearms, Etc. are on board. I'll need a fill(s) before we head back up state, we'll be cruising through Abq. if Stella's not there Fri or Mon.? An Abq shop referral would be cool.

I'll have my Bro in and around the B/H parking lot during my bottom time, safety first :wink:. He mentioned theft issues as well. We'll prolly also join the "jumpers" when we're done diving, we're jus' big kids at heart :D And parking lot de-briefing we'll plan for :cool2:. Shade, BBQ and Cooler.

Robin, I'd be interested in auditing the O/W (Altitude?) class Ron is teaching, any chance?

Thanks again,
Don

Last edited:
Thanks Robin for the PM, no worries here, hope Ron turns out a few more folks excited about the enchanting underwater world!

Been here a week, I've already scrubbed the Santa Rosa dives... BUT, I got a lead on some local (Eagle Nest) goodies :wink:

Apparently there's some slot machines in the lake that were ditched during the PD raids in the 40's? Local lore is that you can see'um underwater on clear days. Got a chat scheduled with a local historian this weekend.

Might have to find a couple lift bags?? :balloons: We'll see?

Loving the NM grub and generous Rocky Mountain hospitality here! I'll prolly dive Sat and Sunday AM's. If any of all y'all locals wanna come up and scout out some unique sites? We have a 17' Cuddy Cabin vintage boat and a huge house (we're remodeling) on the lake.

Sorry you don't want to try out Blue Hole. We will be there the 14th & 15th as Ron has both OW and AOW students. I will probably be bringing the video rig and shooting some underwater footage, too.

I am busy this week editing footage from our NC trip last week. I have one video done, a couple more to go.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom