almost unusable now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skankpile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know its a drag to hear bad feedback, but:

Scubaboard is almost to the point its unusable. When I go to the first page my CPU maxes for a few seconds while the adds load, then I click to a forum and it happens again. I'm constantly waiting on adds... I feel like scubaboard has become like the free magazines you get in dive shops.

The forum only runs on 1/3 of the page, and the rest is adds flashing and reloading all over the place making scrolling, searching, and reloading ridiculous...

I understand bandwidth and running the board is expensive, but its gotten to the point its just not worth it for me anymore. I'm sorry, I'm just going to have to move on.

check your computer - you may have other problems. I don't see delays on an old laptop or my 7 year old XP based desktop.

I'm using a 5 year old laptop with half a gig of ram and it move right along. I think you should be sure your running the lastest Java and then do some speedtests before jumping ship: Speakeasy - Speed Test

Last edited:
I saw similar problems with IE. I have started using Firefox and it runs much faster.

Up-front disclaimer: I use a PC.

Most of what I read here turns out to be correct. Test this site for yourself:
The Kim Komando Show - Free Tips, Downloads, Reviews, Software and Advice for Your Digital Lifestyle

I find this extremely useful:
The Ultimate Troubleshooter 4.92, 4.94, 4.90, TUT - The best PC Tuning, Task Manager Replacement, PC Optimizing tool ever written to fix PC problems and speed up slow PCs !

And yes, there is a slowdown. Looking into if it is a Java thing on my PC. Microsoft and Java are, let's just say, problemmatic. Get over it, Microsoft. They came up with the concept of a virtual machine before you did. Stop making things difficult.

Even if you are having problems only here, it's still on your end I think.

I'm not saying its dragging down my computer, I'm saying its annoyingly slow because of the adds. Try a different board.... you have just become accustomed to the slowness and reading around adds as they appear in every corner of the board. What joggs the cpu cycles is the adds and scubaboard has more than most it seems...

I assure you its not on my end as its the same for every pc in my house, my friends house, my work, and even my favorite dive shop... I cant believe I'm still replying to this... its liable to initiate a comcast add..

First of all: we love feedback, both positive and negative. Without it we could not meet your needs.

As for the delay, it's not the ads that slow you down. Sometimes the ads are prevented from rendering while the real bear, our huge database, is being read. There are only a few options for our ads, so the database is tiny. Our memcache effectively manages that portion so the delay is measured in milliseconds. However, the actual database is HUGE and it's impossible to memcache any but the most read threads. Currently, we have 250 requests/second on that db alone. Add some malware on your end and this could easily take 10 times a long as it tries to figure out where our db is going. Ad blocker is mostly a placebo, making people think that they are defeating the "system" when they are just bypassing a lot of malware. It can also create longer waits for the end user with no malware in spite of all the claims. It's best to use a program to check for malware on your system at least once or twice a week. You'll be surprised at the speed with which you can browse if you eliminate all of that junk.

Back
Top Bottom