almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet:
Well, I'm glad you clarified that for me. If he held his breath, he could have gotten an embolism, but to worry about DCS from 15ft? That seems rather odd to me.

No way you could get DCS even at 15 meters, much less feet. You get 80 minutes of no decompression time at 15 meters and 205 minutes at 15 feet.

Maybe it is time to re-take all of your classroom work. Did you plan your dive at all, seeing that you did not know your no decompression limits? Or were you depending on a computer?

REC DIVER, are you saying that you don't consider this a near death experience? have you studied how long it takes us to die once we start breathing in water when 15ft below...I have no idea how long it takes to pass out down there from no air. of course I panicked, I forgot I had another reg. and after not being able to hold my breath any longer, I started desiring the air above the surface and went for it. I THOUGHT it was near death because I've never experienced that situation before. turns out I was wrong, I guess it would take more than that to kill me?

DIVING CRNA, no I didn't plan...I just strapped the computer and went solo. maybe even solo without my classroom lesson on how dcs is impossible for divers diving NDLs?

I wouldn't ever say it is impossible to get bent while within no decompression limits. It can happen. But a diver in the situation you were in is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to get bent on an CESA.

punisher:
REC DIVER, are you saying that you don't consider this a near death experience? have you studied how long it takes us to die once we start breathing in water when 15ft below...I have no idea how long it takes to pass out down there from no air. of course I panicked, I forgot I had another reg. and after not being able to hold my breath any longer, I started desiring the air above the surface and went for it. I THOUGHT it was near death because I've never experienced that situation before. turns out I was wrong, I guess it would take more than that to kill me?

DIVING CRNA, no I didn't plan...I just strapped the computer and went solo. maybe even solo without my classroom lesson on how dcs is impossible for divers diving NDLs?

DivingCRNA:
No way you could get DCS even at 15 meters, much less feet. You get 80 minutes of no decompression time at 15 meters and 205 minutes at 15 feet.

Maybe it is time to re-take all of your classroom work. Did you plan your dive at all, seeing that you did not know your no decompression limits? Or were you depending on a computer?
Are you talking to me? I didn't do the dive.

No. I was responding to the original post. sorry for the confusion. Punisher got the message and it was meant for him/her.

DivingCRNA:
No. I was responding to the original post. sorry for the confusion. Punisher got the message and it was meant for him/her.
No problem.

No offense intended, but near death at 15 ft because you loose your reg? You didn't state what your level of certification is, but in my humble opinion, an open water cert does not qualify you to solo dive without a TON of experience. I keep my octo attached to my "triangle" and if I'd loose my main, I'd switch to my octo immediately, then search
for my main. I've had various equipment failures in the past and was fortunate enough to be able to deal with them.

I'm currently a rescue diver and still would never consider diving solo. Remember, when you dive solo, your only buddy is MURPHY!

Respect,
Mark

Rec Diver:
You have got to be joking! A near death experience? Sounds like you just panicked.

Panic is often exactly what causes deaths. There isn't any boogie man or anything. We usually do it to ourselves.

LuvsItWet:
No offense intended, but near death at 15 ft because you loose your reg?

I just have to agree with this, even though I've been holding back because , well, I didn't want to come off sounding mean. :D I was in an OOA situation on a safety stop in NC. It was 15 - 20 ft to the ladder. Yeah, it was disconcerting, but I didn't think I was going to die. BTW, that was one of those Murphy cases; started the dive at 2400 psi because I blew an o ring, and of course, that was the ONE dive with dozens and dozens of sand tigers and 80 ft vis. Just lost track of my pressure and started my ascent at 600 psi. Ooops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom