Almost certainly going to do Fundies in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xdjio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks - I've been reading up a ton, reading Fundies reports, talking and diving some with Fundies divers and I am going to dive in (har har) and go for it. I already know the GUE way appeals to me, and I just wanted to share here how excited I am to be going for it!

So far the plan is: course to run over a two weekends in August. I'm fortunate up here in Vancouver to have access to an instructor who lives here (Alan) and so far, it looks like the course will be just myself and one other student.

I will of course post a training report after it's all done :) Now, to organize some additional practice before and between the two weekends... :)

Congratulations! You will find it a great class, and polishing your skills that way will improve ALL of your diving.

I'd love to read a report of one of Alan's classes -- I don't think we've had one here yet.

I am very interested in your report. I am thinking abouttaking fundamentals from idc as well, however, I think I will take the primerfirst. Do you own the correct type of equipment or are you renting for theclass?

SPC751 - I'll let you know how it goes. I am signed up for Aug 11 fundies with Alan.

As far as equipment goes, I own "some" of it but not others. Alan's able to fill in the gaps for Fundies students. Stuff I own and will use:

- Mask, Fins (turtles with spring straps), drygloves
- Halcyon can light
- backup light
- cutting device
- compass and wrist computer

Stuff I usually rent and that Alan can provide for this course (yay for living downtown and having no storage space) - or that the shop can rent

- Halcyon BC
- Long-hose regs
- DSMB
- Drysuit (I'm renting this from the shop)
- Tanks (ditto)

I'm doing the course in 100ft^3 steel tanks since that is was I am most accustomed to. Will let you know how it goes!

Nice! Good decision to take GUE F during a realtively early stage of one's diving career.

- Halcyon BC
- Long-hose regs
- DSMB
- Drysuit (I'm renting this from the shop)
- Tanks (ditto)

I'm doing the course in 100ft^3 steel tanks since that is was I am most accustomed to. Will let you know how it goes!

Just a thought: While I think it is best to do the course with equipment you're used to, we all know that this might not always be possible (for whatever reasons). I'd strongly recommend though that you try to rent all the course gear prior to the course beginning and use it for one or two dives (or at least pool sessions). Not to practise skills or anything but to become at least a little comfortable in it. Otherwise it might be extremely overwhelming to get used to the new gear and perform all the skills/team protocols/trim in it all at once. I think it would be very hard to switch to a drysuit, using a hog BC and a long hose setup for the first time while trying to do all that is required in GUE F.
BTW, I did the a similar thing: While I was diving a BP/W, long hose setup, drysuit etc. for quite same time, I was only used to singles. I wanted to take the course with doubles so I did 3-4 dives prior to the course with someone who had lots of double diving experience. It worked out very well this way but I would have had a very hard time without these training dives prior to the beginning of the course.

Anyways, have fun!

Nice. I did fundie exactly a year ago, June 2011 graudate :) I can'y say enough good things about this class and my instructors. It is one of those classes that you will learn so much that at the end, you don't care if you pass or not. Have fun, and keep us updated.

Nice! Good decision to take GUE F during a realtively early stage of one's diving career.

Just a thought: While I think it is best to do the course with equipment you're used to, we all know that this might not always be possible (for whatever reasons). I'd strongly recommend though that you try to rent all the course gear prior to the course beginning and use it for one or two dives (or at least pool sessions). Not to practise skills or anything but to become at least a little comfortable in it. Otherwise it might be extremely overwhelming to get used to the new gear and perform all the skills/team protocols/trim in it all at once. I think it would be very hard to switch to a drysuit, using a hog BC and a long hose setup for the first time while trying to do all that is required in GUE F.
BTW, I did the a similar thing: While I was diving a BP/W, long hose setup, drysuit etc. for quite same time, I was only used to singles. I wanted to take the course with doubles so I did 3-4 dives prior to the course with someone who had lots of double diving experience. It worked out very well this way but I would have had a very hard time without these training dives prior to the beginning of the course.

Anyways, have fun!

It's a good point MarkHerm and well-appreciated. I'm not terribly concerned because the shop always rents me the exact same kit every time, and I'm using the exact same same gear for Fundies (aside from a new pal, mr. long hose) More than one new thing for Fundies and I would be nervous as well. I don't count the DSMB since that's a skill I "already" don't have... but I'm going to practice with some GUE buddies beforehand if I can, anyway.

Looking forward to your report, especially since I am signed up to take Fundamentals in Mexico a month after you :)

Cool - good the hear nimoh! I'm excited and hope my report will contain some useful tidbits :wink: Pass or fail, I'm expecting it will be a huge learning an experience and will help build a great foundation of skills. Congrats to you for signing up too - I'm a little envious of your warm-water training, but all my dives have been cold water so I guess I may as well stick with what I know :wink:

Most of my diving is cold water, living in Minnesota but at this point, I am not sure if I am going to haul my drysuit to Mexico when a 5mm wetsuit will work nicely.

After reading quite a bit about others' experiences with Fundamentals, I am going into it expecting it to be a humbling experience, and at the same time preparing as best as I can. I am planning on doing at least a dozen dives in doubles between now and the class, and also I am reading all of the literature for the class...twice :)

Good luck with your class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom