"Allowed" to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I'd have a problem with the Quebec license unless there was a charge for it. If you don't have 10 logged dives within 3 years to get it renewed what do you do?

I don't think I'd have a problem with the Quebec license unless there was a charge for it. If you don't have 10 logged dives within 3 years to get it renewed what do you do?

Of course there's a fee ; ) But really for divers it's pocket change compared to other fees, not sure for instructors, it's 15$ every 3 years. The check dive is a bit more expensive, mostly the same price as hiring a DM/instructor for a dive (cost me 60$ including the short boat ride to the site in 2008).

If you don't have the 10 dives, you either fake it with a false log book or redo the check dive with a dm/instructor.

Last time I got it renewed, they accepted the 2 sets of double 130s and the 6 stages I was bringing to the fill station as proof : ).

I just had a pleasant evening turn into a rather annoying disagreement with a PADI DM who has dove and worked in several Latin American countries and New Zealand. At home, he DMs in Canada.

Basically - he told me that as an AOW it wasn't "legal" for me to dive without DM supervision and that many places would refuse to rent me gear without either supervision or a DM cert.

Yes - he used the term "legal". I was further told that other qualifications are useless (I don't see myself progressing much further in PADI but I want to take courses elsewhere).

Oh. Also - apparently AOW certifies you for overhead (he talked about a guy freaking out in a "cave" in Nicaragua) because of the wreck dive.

So I'm a bit annoyed and slightly tipsy and I'm wondering if anything - anything at all - is true. I suspect he's a DM with a bit of a god complex (there was some bragging involved) but who knows. Maybe I'm being obstinate.

So, ScubaBoard.... Educate me.

I suppose you got all this information about who he was and what he's done "straight from the horses mouth"? He sounds more like a Wikipedia expert than a diver, much less a dive master. Bet you a dollar to a doughnut, he doesn't even own any gear. I have run into so called experts with 6 dives that knew all about the dive industry before, usually just before the boat crew was going to pair that clown with me.

My favourite subject. Not. FQAS.

I like your qualifications re: doubles and stages lol.

Of course there's a fee ; ) But really for divers it's pocket change compared to other fees, not sure for instructors, it's 15$ every 3 years. The check dive is a bit more expensive, mostly the same price as hiring a DM/instructor for a dive (cost me 60$ including the short boat ride to the site in 2008).

If you don't have the 10 dives, you either fake it with a false log book or redo the check dive with a dm/instructor.

Last time I got it renewed, they accepted the 2 sets of double 130s and the 6 stages I was bringing to the fill station as proof : ).

The "legal" thing is wrong in respect of France. The system there is restricted by the insurance that is generally bought through the governing body. There is no actual state law as such. So anyone can dive there, the issue only comes up when dealing with a dive centre (most are affiliated to the governing body so have it's insurance).

France has some excellent diving - the WW2 wrecks in Normandy for example. Of great historic importance to our US friends (who will all receive a very warm welcome there). Also some of the best cave diving in Europe. The Med. isn't so great, but has some good wreck dives in the 130-160 foot range for those suitably qualified.

I know this is a bit off the OPs topic, but I have to just correct this.

In France it is most certainly a "legal" question. In France, all sport including diving are covered by the "code du sport". This has the full weight of French law behind it, and it describes everything about diving, from the qualifications to instructor prerogatives,medical certificates, and even the equipment the diver has to have. Believe me if you have an accident and you did not follow the CdS you could be in a very unenviable position.

Now, in general, anybody can dive here, however, as the Froggy system is different from the rest of the world don't expect to be able to do what you want when you want to. Any RSTC qualified diver (including DM and instructors) will be limited to 20m dives (or 40m with a guide). Simply because the code du sport requires a recognized Deco qualification to be unaccompanied below 20m. OTOH anybody from a CMAS (or similar, e.g. BSAC) background would be treated very well....

HTH, and any questions about diving here in France can be answered...

Jon

And that is exactly why I got my CMAS 2 star Instructor Cert. In case I ever get to France and want to dive they will let me do my thing. Seriously though it has come in handy. I have issued CMAS cards to those who indicated they planned to travel and did not want hassled.

But the real point is: Was the DM picking up chicks. If so, his information was probably spot on. The fact that we all disagree doesn't really come into consideration.

Was the DM picking up chicks.

Of course he was....... But then they all ran as far away as they could as soon as they realized what a prime <insert country specific small wiener based insult> he was.

Jon

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 06:38 PM ----------

. In case I ever get to France and want to dive they will let me do my thing.

Motivation to get over here: Le Donator - Epave du Var - France - 50 metres - YouTube

probably my favorite French spot - the Donator, a wreck at 45 a 50m.

Jon

ps sorry about the awful music, it's not my video.......

I just had a pleasant evening turn into a rather annoying disagreement with a PADI DM who has dove and worked in several Latin American countries and New Zealand. At home, he DMs in Canada.

Basically - he told me that as an AOW it wasn't "legal" for me to dive without DM supervision and that many places would refuse to rent me gear without either supervision or a DM cert.

Yes - he used the term "legal". I was further told that other qualifications are useless (I don't see myself progressing much further in PADI but I want to take courses elsewhere).

Oh. Also - apparently AOW certifies you for overhead (he talked about a guy freaking out in a "cave" in Nicaragua) because of the wreck dive.

So I'm a bit annoyed and slightly tipsy and I'm wondering if anything - anything at all - is true. I suspect he's a DM with a bit of a god complex (there was some bragging involved) but who knows. Maybe I'm being obstinate.

So, ScubaBoard.... Educate me.

So, I was visiting Hawaii last year. I had my regs, mask, snorkel fins, BCD and weights. I bought a 3mm wetsuit at a local dive shop.

A few days later, at another dive shop, I rented 2 tanks for the day.

Oh, and just recently I started my AOW.

He is completely full of it.

OTOH anybody from a CMAS (or similar, e.g. BSAC) background would be treated very well....

HTH, and any questions about diving here in France can be answered...

Jon

How would GUE divers be treated in France? I am genuinely curious what the perception of them is, over there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom