allowed to dive with only ow cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waikatoboy

Reaction score
Got some mates coming over to catch up with me in thailand are OW certified diver allowed to dive in thailand on andaman or gulf of thailand??

probably a stupid question but was mentioned to them by some one that it wasn't possible with out at least taking an advanced course.

No problem for them to go diving.

Basically the Open Water certification trains you to dive unsupervised to a depth of 18 meters/60 feet in similar circumstances as your training dives were conducted.

Normally they will be diving with a divemaster, so they will be supervised. Of course not all divesites are suitable for them. The King Cruiser wreck in the Phuket area for example goes down to 30+ meters, with quite often limited vis and strong currents. So that site I would not recommend to them.

It makes a lot of sense however for them to do the Advanced Course. A fun course with lots of diving, and not that much more expensive than making the same amount of dives just as fundives. But now with an instructor gaining more experience.

I'm one of those just gotten my regular OW certificate. It's definitely OK to dive. Yes, you must have a Dive Master. I've logged about 6 dives in total. Most of them not exceeding 15 meters. The dive center will advise you accordingly when you present your SCUBA card.

Back
Top Bottom