Allergic to silicone? Surely not!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxguru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In the past four months or so, I've developed an allergic reaction to my drysuit. At first, I'd get just a minor irritation on my right wrist, then it spread to both wrists, and finally, i had a 2" wide band of blistery rash around both wrists, and blotches on my neck.

I haven't worn my dry suit for about three weeks and the rash is 95% gone. During that time, I sent the suit to Steve Gamble for silicone seals - GREAT job, Steve! I got the suit back last night, and tried it on to see how the new silicone seals fit. I wore it for *maybe* five minutes at about 9pm. Five or six hours later, I woke up in the middle of the night, all itchy. This morning, the rash is back in full force.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What did you do to resolve the problem?
Ideas? Anyone?

Thanks,

max
DSAT Tec Deep Instructor

Sounds like a Latex allergy. Are you sure there's no Latex anywhere in your current seals?

Or an allergy to the seal glue?

There is also an allergic reaction called urticaria ("Hives") that is usually trigged by medications, but some people get hives from exposure to cold air or even by brushing something against the skin, or compressing the skin. Can you give yourself hives by firmly rubbing your knuckle along your thigh or belly?

I am not a Dr but....Latex allergy is much like peanut allergy: people who have it can go into anaphylactic shock and yes, even die. What most people get when they get a rash is not an allergic reaction, it's contact dermatitis. Most silicone is hypoallergenic. Much of what started getting called latex allergy began when people started wearing latex gloves to protect against HIV etc, then developed rashes on their hands. Most of the time it was from wearing them too long, or something in the talc being used at that time to lubricate them and facilitate putting them on.

No hives as you describe. I'm hoping that the current medications will heal the condition completely before I have to wear the suit again. Until now, I've just been letting it heal on its own, and it never healed 100% before I wore the suit again.

Thanks,
max

I hope you are right, so that I can find a treatment!

Thanks,
max

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom