Allergic reaction to mask rubber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N.Grace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought my first mask a little while ago, I can't recall the precise model but it was a matte black Hollis. It's a very good mask, seemed to be a great fit etc. very little leakage. Unfortunately every time I've used it in my pool sessions (I don't complete my Open Water until the weekend - wish me luck!! :)) I've found it uncomfortable bordering on unbearable on/around the points it comes into contact with my skin and around the nose. My face becomes horribly itchy and sore and (to the despair of my Instructor), I have to keep taking it off and rubbing my face/nose to try and bring some relief. It was making my training very uncomfortable anyhow and I was constantly distracted from doing the skills by my itchy face and the process of taking off the mask/replacing it/de-fogging it due to repeated removal.
I actually bought a new mask today because of this problem. I borrowed my Instructor's mask for today's pool session, a black Mini Shadow, and I had zero problems with it so I bought an identical mask and gave my Dad the Hollis (which he is very pleased with as his mask has worn out!)
I was just wondering if my problems with the Hollis mask could be down to some sort of allergic reaction to the type of rubber used in the Hollis mask or simply because it was not as good a fit as I thought/another reason.
(I'm a total novice and still getting to grips with things!) I would appreciate others' opinions on this. Thanks :)

That would have to be silicone allergy... extremely rare, but of course not impossible. Then again, virtually all mask skirts are made from silicone, so you'd have that problem with every mask.

Yes, i would agree that it seems like it would have to be an allergy to silicone.... and that would be every mask.... I'm wondering if the particular mask you had trouble with had some sort of sealant or gloss finish or the like on the skirt that caused the reaction. I wonder if a benadryl gel application prior to using might have helped? BUT, it seems moot since you have found a mask that suits you!

Welcome to club!!!!!

An allergy to a high quality silicone is very rare, and the fact that you can wear other masks without issue points to this not being the case. I think two other options are more likely. First, the finishing of the edges or texture could be irritating your face, especially if you have sensitive skin. I've had this happen with some masks in the past. The other possibility is that there could be impurities in the silicone in that Hollis mask that your skin reacted to. Most masks are made over-seas, so the quality control on mask silicone skirts isn't going to be akin to the levels needed for something like medical applications.

If you did not clean the mask with tooth paste to remove the releasing agent on it from the factory that may be the culprit.

I have the same problem. I just bear it with topical OTC hydrocortisone cream, oral antihistamines and if needed -prescription prednisone- especially on long vacation trips overseas.

I also wash my mask skirt after every dive with soap & water to clean out all the snot & stuff -to prevent possible infection of my already inflamed skin. . .

Not that I would ever want to intentionally wear a vinyl mask, but do vinyl masks irritate in the same way?

(Have you ever thought about going the full free dive route of flooded goggles and contacts?)

Back
Top Bottom