AllegroCozumelOccidental-WhatDoYouThink?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
First trip to Cozumel. First week in September. RCI members using our time share at the "Allegro Cozumel Occidental." Is the on-site dive shop okay or is it a cattle boat organization? Is there shore diving? At the hotel or nearby? Any safety concerns regarding shore diving there?

How are the restuarants at the hotel? We're doing the "all inclusive" since it's pretty cheap there. How are the rooms?

How far to town? Is a car recommended? Our agenda, if you couldn't guess, is get in all the diving we can.

Anything you would say is a must do?

Thanks, dj

Dive op is friendly enough but very conservative on bottom times. Last time we stayed there, we dove with another operator (BlueXT is hard to beat) But took a 10 dive package from dive palancar that 3 of us split up for some pm dives. Also it is a great opportunity to do souther reef night dives. We also did those with dive palancar.

$15.00 cab ride each way to town. Food was good. Rooms were OK but we did not have one of the refurbished rooms. There is nothing to find on a shore dive that you can't find with just a snorkel.

It's pretty far south from town, share a cab with others if possible. going to town will be easier to do this than coming back to the hotel.

you may want to rent a car one or maybe 2 days so you can explore the island, see the caribbean side, go to Coconuts, drive around town see how the locals live or maybe go to San Gervaiso archeological site if your interested in any mayan stuff. it's not as impressive as the site over on the Yucatan, but it's bigger than most people think and a good place to start mayan studies. and a lot cheaper than the sites over on the mainland only about $3.50 admission.

djanni:
First trip to Cozumel. First week in September. RCI members using our time share at the "Allegro Cozumel Occidental." Is the on-site dive shop okay or is it a cattle boat organization? Is there shore diving? At the hotel or nearby? Any safety concerns regarding shore diving there?

I've stayed at the Allegro 4 times now.... Dived with the on-site shop (Dive Palancar) 3 times. They're a pretty good operation over all, IMHO. Certainly, they tend to have more people on their boats than some of the operators you read about on this board, but I wouldn't quite call it a cattle boat shop. Everytime I dove with them, if they had more than 6 divers, they would split us up into two teams, each led by a separate dive master. The other great thing is that they're located literally about than 5 minutes away from the reefs, so it's not like you're crammed on the boat with a ton of people for an eternity. Quite to the contrary, you're generally scrambleing to get your gear ready before you arive at the site. As for bottom times, they always let buddy teams stay down 'till 700 psi. If someone is running low, the divemaster will send that team up, but the rest of the group can continue the dive. This has happened to me several times, and I've always been able to stay down for my full tank, despite some bonehead divers who went down to 120 ft. on Palancar Horseshoe, and ran out of air in half the time. (sorry, venting a bit...)

Since the dive sites are so close to the resort, the surface intervals always consist of returning back to the dock, so you can use the bathroom, grab a quick snack, or whatever. That's one of the things I actually really like about diving with Dive Palancar.

How are the restuarants at the hotel? We're doing the "all inclusive" since it's pretty cheap there. How are the rooms?

The restaurants are generally decent... nothing fantastic, but not bad either. My favorite is always the breakfast omelette made to order. :-D Several times, we ate at their a la carte restaurants in the evening and they were pretty good, over all. Again, I've had better, but it's not at all bad for all-inclusive.

The rooms... well, the past couple of times I've been there, I noticed that they were starting to get a bit run down, but I also saw that the resort has been renovating, and that was a couple of years ago, so I would imagine that most of the rooms are probably renovated by now. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't down right bad or anything, but not as nice as some of the other resorts I've stayed in Mexico.

How far to town? Is a car recommended? Our agenda, if you couldn't guess, is get in all the diving we can.
Thanks, dj

It's a fairly good ride back to town, probably about 25 minutes and $20 dollars to the taxi driver. A good option may be to rent a car for a day or two and take a trip around the island, especially to the Caribbean side. Lots of folks here will recommend doing that.

Overall, I'd recommend The Allegro, especially to divers, because the price is right, and it's so close to the best reefs in Cozumel. It's a bit ways from the town, but the diving convenience is hard to beat.

djanni:

Thanks, dj
We were ther two years ago and found the food very good for an AI. The rooms were very Motel 6ish, not very good at all. We were not in the timeshare section so maybe they are better. I think they have done some renovaions since then.

There was sometimes a smell coming from the sewage plant on the NE part of the propery so try to stay away from that section.

The pool needed some work (painting and cleanup of the water). There was some crud floating around and, if you rubbed on the walls, dirt/ slimey stuff came off. We were not impressed with the general condition of the pools. The rest of the property was nice.

There is a ranch across the highway and about 100 yards to the north (an easy walk) yhat offers horseback riding. They have two different packages , a 2 1/2 hour ride through the jungle to El Cedral (a small town with a minor Mayan ruin and some shops) for $35 or a 1 1/2 hour ride to a cenote for $25. This was a fun activity.

djanni:

Thanks, dj
I have stayed at the Allergo several times and love it! Make reservations every night at the ala carte restaurants....they are great....Personally I did not care for the on site dive shop.....we dove with Papa Hogs....they picked us up by boat at the hotel....some of the dive operators we prefer are Papa Hogs...Allison and Dimi....you
will love this resort....they have one of the best beaches in Cozumel!

Hello,
I live on the island. The Allegro is a nice facility. But it is all-inclusive. It is quite a distance from town. Plan on taxi cost of $20.00 to and from town. If you plan on going to town more than once per day, you are better to rent a car. But make sure that you buy insureance with a low deductable. You are MUCH better NOT to use the in-hotel dive operator. They have a captive audience and tend to be less than responsive. I strongly recommend that you dive with Caribbean Divers. www.caribbeandiverscozumel.com. Email cdivers@prodigy.net.mx. I have dived with many here and they are the BEST.
djanni:

Thanks, dj

Back
Top Bottom