Alleged illegal tanks sold by Add Helium-Heads up to any that may have purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the whole backstory here anyhow?
I have no clue. I am not privy to any of this, not one bit. I first learned about it when I was alerted to this thread by two people.

The "backstory" is based completely upon the complaint filed against Add Helium by Shawn Robotka.

My suggestion is to go read the 40+ page long complaint.

Rereading your question, you might be referring to this: Robbing Paul to pay Peter... a disturbing trend with Revo Rebreathers

images

That was not alleged.

Copy and pasted from the complaint:

Why not just tell it like it is? Embellishing a story doesn't help anybody on either side.
I am not embellishing anything, it is alleged because it is a complaint in a law suit that has not come to judgement, thus until the court finds the complaint has or has not merit, any statements in the complaint are alleged.

I'm known for my ability to "tell it like it is", here's some more.. your post was pretty much designed to be aggressive...be a grown up and go be like that in real life, it will work out well.

I'm known for my ability to "tell it like it is",
He's definitely the most, er, "aggressive" Canadian I have ever known.

"Sotis bought non DOT certified tanks and sold them, "
is the same as
"Purchasing and selling non-DOT compliant scuba tanks"

"altering the tanks to appear DOT certified"
is the same as
"mislabeling the non-compliant scuba tanks to conceal their non-compliant nature"

Agreed on the first statement, but (respectfully) not on the second. The devil's in the details and legal writing shouldn't be paraphrased, but instead quoted and copied verbatim.

"Altering tanks" suggests physical manipulation in the form of stickers, paint, engravings, etc.

"Mislabeling" is significantly more broad and vague. It could very well include the physical altering of tanks, or could be some random wording on their website about CE certification. We don't know what they mean, and that's the point.

Agreed on the first statement, but (respectfully) not on the second. The devil's in the details and legal writing shouldn't be paraphrased, but instead quoted and copied verbatim.

"Altering tanks" suggests physical manipulation in the form of stickers, paint, engravings, etc.

"Mislabeling" is significantly more broad and vague. It could very well include the physical altering of tanks, or could be some random wording on their website about CE certification. We don't know what they mean, and that's the point.
Labeling generally refers to the product or packaging. The web site not so much.

Arguing about silly semantics aside... :wink:

My personal recollection (may be off) of when they began offering the cylinders for sale is that AH was offerring non DOT European cylinders due to several requests from visiting European divers who were traveling here and unable to get cylinders that worked with their gear and they were for use with private fill stations. My recollection is that they were always up front about the cylinders being non-DOT approved.

I suspect the "mislabeling" relates to attaching a viz sticker (technically cylinders should be DOT to pass). I really don't know what the truth is. Divorces are messy.:eek:

Arguing about silly semantics aside... :wink:

My personal recollection (may be off) of when they began offering the cylinders for sale is that AH was offerring non DOT European cylinders due to several requests from visiting European divers who were traveling here and unable to get cylinders that worked with their gear and they were for use with private fill stations. My recollection is that they were always up front about the cylinders being non-DOT approved.

I suspect the "mislabeling" relates to attaching a viz sticker (technically cylinders should be DOT to pass). I really don't know what the truth is. Divorces are messy.:eek:
their web site certainly does it's best to not address that they are not US legal. what you said sounds more like a justification after the fact than the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom