Allatoona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Laurelgsc, we really do appreciate the info on allatoona, Matt and I have been wanting to try and dive "the dead sea" for a while now. We both live in woodstock, so the drive to allatoona is so much better than the hour it takes us to get to west bank park at lanier. It would just be nice to have a close place for us to dive when time is limited. Anyway, thanks again for the info, and we will make sure to let you know when we plan to go out to allatoona and dive.

Kyle

The core site has a map of the lake. It looks like Bartow County park is pretty close to the dam area, I am going to go check it out this week. Here is the map: lake map There is also a beach really close to camp called Galt's Ferry. It's not showing up on the map as having a swimming area which I find interesting since I know it is a public beach and I boat and kayak past it all the time. Yeah keep me posted about what you all find.

I have dove allatoona about a half dozen times. I dove in the summer usually off of McKinney Campground. There are alot of campsite that allow you to walk to the water. It is definitely the dead sea. The visibility was usually around 5 to 7 feet and cleared up a bit as you descended. Surprisingly, I didn't even find alot of trash. From what I recall, I only went about 20 feet deep and it was getting pretty cool (and dark) in a 3 mm. If I recall correctly, you had to carry a light below about 10 feet as it got real dark, but it has been almost a year since I dove that section. I will have to try again when my drysuit gets here. I have also dove off the swim beaches at McKinney. The swim beaches are a longer walk and you have to get pretty far out to get to 20 feet (and then you have to worry about boat traffic).

I do hear alot of people dive the Etowah river just downstream of the dam in Cartersville. Apparently there was an old bridge that they shoved off into the water. There is also an in-use bridge near the old bridge pilings that could make for interesting treasure hunting. I don't know the schedule, but I hear there are times when they aren't running the dam for power and the current is managable. There is a scuba shop in Cartersville that has people that dive the river on a regular basis.

gander:
I have dove allatoona about a half dozen times. I dove in the summer usually off of McKinney Campground. There are alot of campsite that allow you to walk to the water. It is definitely the dead sea. The visibility was usually around 5 to 7 feet and cleared up a bit as you descended. Surprisingly, I didn't even find alot of trash. From what I recall, I only went about 20 feet deep and it was getting pretty cool (and dark) in a 3 mm. If I recall correctly, you had to carry a light below about 10 feet as it got real dark, but it has been almost a year since I dove that section. I will have to try again when my drysuit gets here. I have also dove off the swim beaches at McKinney. The swim beaches are a longer walk and you have to get pretty far out to get to 20 feet (and then you have to worry about boat traffic).

I do hear alot of people dive the Etowah river just downstream of the dam in Cartersville. Apparently there was an old bridge that they shoved off into the water. There is also an in-use bridge near the old bridge pilings that could make for interesting treasure hunting. I don't know the schedule, but I hear there are times when they aren't running the dam for power and the current is managable. There is a scuba shop in Cartersville that has people that dive the river on a regular basis.
Thanks Gander for the info, let us know when your drysuit comes in so we can all try and get together for a dive sometime. Also keep a watch on the lake lanier loonie bird forum so you know when we are going out to lanier and dive, you are more than welcome to come blow some bubbles with us.

Kyle

Thank you for the information Gandar. I was talking to a gentleman down in cave country the past week that has dove allatoona quite a bit. He also stated he went out from the boat ramp at red top mountain and headed left underneath the bridge. He said he gets 10' of viz out there on a good day.

I am waiting to see my monetary situation later on in the week to see if I can afford to head out to ABWA for DUI days next weekend. If I can't I am definately going to try to hit up allatoona this weekend. I will post some more details once I have them if anyone wants to come along. I assume the water temp will be much like Lanier right now, mid 50's.

Matt

Thanks. I have dove lanier twice. Once in the beach area (West bank) and the other was on the east side of the dam (you have to jump down about 5 feet to get to the edge of the water and then wade out. The visibility was pretty good on the east side, but I had an ear that wouldn't equalize that day and I only got to about 70 feet. This is near the location of the bus stop.

I watch the looney bird section from time to time. I was going to come out for the New Years day introduction, but unfortunately, I was diving the Duane in Key Largo. You know how it is, the Duane or a mudhole? I am also pondering the trip to Loch Lowe. It's been a couple years since I've been up there and it will depend on whether the wife wants to go. I actually certified at Loch Lowe in about 5 feet of visibility after a bunch of rain. I do enjoy lanier, but I am in Cartersville, which is even further away than alot of you guys. I have dove Allatoona as I said, but there isn't anything to see except a muddy bottom. But even looking at a muddy bottom is better than being out of the water.

I have heard the guys at the Cartersville scuba shop say that there is a place to dive Allatoona near the dam that you can get pretty deep. I don't recall how deep, but I was thinking it got to around 100 feet. The next time I am near that shop, I'll stop in an ask them. I think they also have a group that routinely goes up to Carter's lake.

My drysuit came in last night. Now I just have to get off work early enough to go pick it up and make sure it fits.

Greg

"But even looking at a muddy bottom is better than being out of the water."

You're my kinda diver, Gander!!!

Welcome to the dry world!!!

the K

Back
Top Bottom