All signs point to DCS, but it's not...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's interesting psychological perspective, toddthecat. I've been thinking about this thread, and trying to cast my mind back to how I felt in OW class. As best I can recall, I paid much more attention to learning how to dive than I did to the lecture on DCS symptoms. I knew DCS was something that, if I followed what I was taught, I would probably never experience. I'm sure I felt a little freaked out in the water and probably had some aches from muscles that I didn't know I had, but DCS was nowhere on my radar. The OP is probably a more conscientious OW student than I was.

but DCS was nowhere on my radar.

I think DCS is only on my radar due to previous experience with paralysis, and over-reading of horror stories in the Accidents/Incidents forums. I now stay out of accidents, and just read analysis. I find it is useful to know what can go wrong, and what people have done to keep themselves safe. Less useful to read continual stories of how people die, because I know overall- that is a very small number. I mean, I'm not worried about ear problems or lung problems, and I think (especially ear) those are way more likely.

But I'm NOT underwater freaking out I might be getting DCS. I'm underwater enjoying myself, except for when my buddy's octo is breathing tons of water and I can't get it to clear. That wasn't enjoyable, but I'm learning the skills, and I'm working on them. I do know some people do everything perfect immediately and have no stress at all, but from the two different class groups I've been in, I also know that I'm not the only person who has had struggles with the skills.

I think the "after a night of drinking, without even diving, I have so many symptoms I wonder if I have DCS" post best sums up what I was feeling. The symptoms are SO common; after how many dives do you stop thinking about them? But it sounds like some people just don't think about them at all.

Relax and stop reading the horror stories about DCS because if you dive within proper parameters it will never happen. The concept is very much akin to people having nightmares or being freaked out after watching a scary movie. In essence, the movie (or in this case, reading about all the accidents), essentially primes your brain to have a heightened awareness of such dangers. This heightened awareness can lead to paranoia and a feeling or sense of inevitability that it will happen to you. In all reality, DCS is not very common and pretty much all of those cases could have been avoided by sticking to the fundamentals of diving. You'll be fine. I can't tell you how long it will be before it is off your mind because everyone is different. I certainly hope that it's soon so you can enjoy diving. Ultimately it is going to come down to your ability to achieve a comfort level without thinking about it. I'm glad to see you are conscientious about diving and trying to avoid being hurt, however, taking it to such an extreme will cause you a lot of undue anxiety. Feel free to PM me anytime if you would like to discuss it. I certainly wish you the best in your diving endeavors!

I certainly hope that it's soon so you can enjoy diving.

Don't worry- I do enjoy it :) Little nervous about the close to no visibility quarry, but it is something to be endured so I can go somewhere lovely.

I think the "after a night of drinking, without even diving, I have so many symptoms I wonder if I have DCS" post best sums up what I was feeling. The symptoms are SO common; after how many dives do you stop thinking about them? But it sounds like some people just don't think about them at all.

I don't think many students think about the common aches and pains related to diving as possibly being DCS since they can see how much they have been within the no deco limits. I have seen some posts of a few people asking if a chest pain or something should be considered possible DCS after a simple training dive so you are not alone in that thinking but in a very small minority and I think you articulated it to a greater degree than I have ever seen before.

During our first trip to Cozumel after about 4 days of diving my wife crawled into bed early evening complaining of flu like symptoms - achey joints, tired, etc. The two dives that day were typical Cozumel dives within no deco limits. The day before we did do 4 dives including a twilight and night dive but all dives were within NDL. We assumed between travel, 6 dives over 1 1/2 days, Mexican food, etc. that it was unrelated to diving.

She felt better the next morning and we continued diving. I have looked at her dive profiles many times since and do not see anything that would lead one to think it was DCS related. But who knows. In retrospect we should have called DAN. She has not had anything like that happen since but we do try to dive conservatively.

You should get Nitrox certified right after OW and consider diving Nitrox on air profiles. Please note however that while there is some theoretical higher safety margin doing that the incidence of DCS is already so amazingly low that there is no evidence that Nitrox reduces it further.

I think you articulated it to a greater degree than I have ever seen before.

Probably because I was going down the list of the symptoms that I had experienced; because they apply to everyone (yeah- throw in fatigue from a plane trip and indigestion, maybe I should book my chamber appointment before I go :) ). Most people also probably don't get to check off the tingly/numbness box either.

I asked my instructor about Nitrox on air profiles and he highly recommended against it. I might talk to some of the other people at the shop and see what they say. Maybe he just figured with the low risk already, it wasn't worth the expense to bother with Nitrox and introduce the chance of O2 tox?

Probably because I was going down the list of the symptoms that I had experienced; because they apply to everyone (yeah- throw in fatigue from a plane trip and indigestion, maybe I should book my chamber appointment before I go :) ). Most people also probably don't get to check off the tingly/numbness box either.

I asked my instructor about Nitrox on air profiles and he highly recommended against it. I might talk to some of the other people at the shop and see what they say. Maybe he just figured with the low risk already, it wasn't worth the expense to bother with Nitrox and introduce the chance of O2 tox?

Huh? We had people in my ow do their nitrox cert at the same time. I did mine a few months after and besides the extra cost, there was no reason not to do it. Maybe they don't want to stress you with additional content if you are struggling?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think with a little more experience you will note what is normal after your dive and will have a better guage.

After re-reading your original post, my best advise for you is to think about what new sx are you experiencing that are not part of your normal constellation of tired, fatigue, ache, and upset stomach. In otherwords, how are you feeling compared to your normal baseline?

Most medical professionals are going to try and get a sense of what is a normal complaint for you and what is different. If you are being evaluated for DCS, then how are you feeling now compared to how do you normally feel. The more vague, the more the person has to try and reach for how the symptoms are different then the less the concern that the sx are related to DCS, especially if the dive profile was conservative.

Most divers will be a little tired after a dive, most would admit to wanting to take a nap. One of my dive buddies always comes back from a dive, heads back to the hotel room and won't be seen until dinner. Most divers will ache a little bit, especially when not used to lifting weights and tanks, etc. But, are the aches unusual? are they more severe than expected? are they lasting longer than they should?

It's not a little tired like I have to take a nap tired, it is we are supposed to go dinner tonight and I really want to go but for the life of me I just don't have the energy and will cancel because of my fatigue. That's not usual.

It's my shoulder is really been bothering me for last few hours and the Advil didn't really touch the pain and maybe I did something wrong and I'm going to give it another hour or I'm going to the ER becuase it's really hurting. The it's a little sore but should be better with a Tylenol is not really much to worry about. And btw, if Tylenol is good enough to take away any pain then the cause is usually minor in nature and nothing to worry about in general (that's actual medical advise from a doctor).

Take note of your usual and customary complaints. determine on a scale if they are close in nature and severity, and if nothing seems too out of the usual then you are probably okay. If something doesn't really seem right then call a doctor or contact DAN.

---------- Post added July 15th, 2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

Actually, Nitrox would be a recommendation to help decrease headaches after dives and help minimize the muscle soreness. But, you should get your OW cert first and then maybe get Nitrox certified after a few dives.

Diving involves having to manage task loading. It is a little like learning how to drive. At first it seems a little overwhelming, but as certain skill become ingrained the tasks become simple and easier over time. When you are constantly trying to think about buoyancy, adding air, venting air, kicking, maintaing trim, it is a lot to think about. You should feel fairly comfortable in what you are doing before you add another variable like Nitrox.

There's a House MD episode dedicated to DCS, which may serve as an indication about the difficulties in diagnosing it. There's a class of diseases sometimes referred to as the "great imitators", diseases that can exhibit all kinds of symptoms, unspecific to the actual underlying condition and generally pointing to other diseases. I'm not saying that DCS usually is one of those, but I'm sure that in some cases it can be argued that it is. Your fear isn't completely unfounded. DAN has a great magazine (they send it to you when you're a member), Alert Diver, which occasionally runs articles on DCS, what symptoms it can exhibit, how it can be diagnosed and how to prevent misdiagnosis of other possibly similar looking, but unrelated conditions. Quite frequently you can read stories of people who were sent to chamber rides for things that totally weren't DCS, just because they happened to have been diving during that time.

Huh? We had people in my ow do their nitrox cert at the same time. I did mine a few months after and besides the extra cost, there was no reason not to do it. Maybe they don't want to stress you with additional content if you are struggling?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

No, they thought nitrox was fine; he didn't think it was worth it to do if I was sticking with air profiles, because it really wasn't proven to reduce risk (since risk is already so small) and added an extra level of something to worry about. They believe the point of nitrox is bottom time, and if you don't want that, it is just an added expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom