All new gear and buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you put the snorkel where it belongs (folded away in a pocket) your buoyancy and trim will get much better. You don't have all that drag pulling your head to the left.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes it was primarily the new 5mm suit that caused the issue. But as I said, after the second time and distributing the weight for trim it was much better. Yes, I was taught how to check fro proper weighting and yes i did so. It just took more weight than expected on the initial dive. I am pretty sure I have a handle on it with that wetsuit in the pool. Yes i will adjust for different diving sites.

I probably won't be doing a drysuit for a while. I do have a 7mm farmer john wetsuit that I have not taken to the pool yet. I'm sure I will have even more fun with that one!

Thanks again!

If you put the snorkel where it belongs (folded away in a pocket) your buoyancy and trim will get much better. You don't have all that drag pulling your head to the left.

Snorkel only affects buoyancy because of all the air trapped inside, yupi actually have to make sure that there is no air inside the snorkel before folding it and putting it away

If you glue on a patch "DIR Diver" on the tank your trim will become 0 degrees and you automatically know how to backfin!

Jokes aside when I just started diving and got the drysuit right from the start I was coming to the pool and was putting everything on including the hood and the gloves to get my weighting right.

Everyone thought I was nuts and I heard some giggling here and there. When we were diving the lake and I had no issues sinking and holding my stops my buddies were fighting with buoyancy mostly underweighted it was my time to giggle:)

So you are doing great job working in the pool with your gear

Tartan Frog,

You did what I ALWAYS recommend to my new divers . . . practice with your rig.

One of the smartest, safest things you can do is go to a pool or a tank with a buddy and work on your buoyancy whenever you change the dynamics of your rig.

Well thought out.

Safe dives . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!

the K

Thanks Kraken! I guess that thought process comes from years of listening to Uncle Sam and training, training, training.

Back
Top Bottom