All-Good Chinese Aluminum 80 cf vs Catalina USA 80 cf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some of the xenophobia expressed in this thread is a bit distasteful.
I read through this thread. I didn’t see the xenophobia you speak of.

I saw many people stating that they would not trust these tanks for their use. That’s not necessarily xenophobia or racism or anything like that. There are plenty of examples of sub-par goods of all types exported from China.

While I definitely have a preference for items not made in China, I do have plenty of things that were made in China. Sometimes they are poor quality, sometimes they are good quality. Quite often, the good quality items are backed by a well known company. These companies insist on quality standards and audit to ensure those standards are maintained.

That’s not what we are talking about here. We are talking about a brand I’ve never heard of producing a pressure vessel. A failure here is considerably higher on the severity scale than a flashlight, for instance. I’m not betting my life on it to save $50.

Just a side note.
Even though final knob assembly may be done in the US, there are almost zero scuba Tank Valves made here.
The valve doesn't need a DOT number and it sits right behind your head.

I read through this thread. I didn’t see the xenophobia you speak of.

I saw many people stating that they would not trust these tanks for their use. That’s not necessarily xenophobia or racism or anything like that. There are plenty of examples of sub-par goods of all types exported from China.

While I definitely have a preference for items not made in China, I do have plenty of things that were made in China. Sometimes they are poor quality, sometimes they are good quality. Quite often, the good quality items are backed by a well known company. These companies insist on quality standards and audit to ensure those standards are maintained.

That’s not what we are talking about here. We are talking about a brand I’ve never heard of producing a pressure vessel. A failure here is considerably higher on the severity scale than a flashlight, for instance. I’m not betting my life on it to save $50.

The brake disks, pads, shoes etc. (and most of the parts of internal combustion engines) of most western brands cars are made in China too.

There’s poor quality stuff made in America, and Europe, too …

I didn’t say anyone was being racist, only that the general China bashing was distasteful. There’s scuba divers in China too, no doubt their divers and companies that need to use compressed gas cylinders use Chinese made cylinders. My experience of China is that consequences for senior executives of companies which make poor quality products that cause loss of life or serious harm can be far more dire than in the West.

Unless you're buying them for a new full time business, I'd just pick up used ones. They go for $0-25. New pro valves are $35 from Dive Gear Express and hydros are around $15 at fire extinguisher service shops. You can strip off old paint pretty easily too.

The brake disks, pads, shoes etc. (and most of the parts of internal combustion engines) of most western brands cars are made in China too.
I addressed that already in my post. OEMs do produce products in China. The OEM is the one who would need to stand behind it.

I’m not buying an All-Good brand car or scuba tank.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Gentle users, I have removed some incendiary posts in here. Let's play nice.

Do a search as there are a few threads regarding cylinders/compressor made in china and the post purchase thoughts.

For me personally, I try to avoid any product made in china. I do not care if it is the best made product in the world. I just do not want my money supporting china. It can be made anywhere else.

Who writes these "articles"? What is the "information" that they received? What am I being "alerted" about? What are the "hidden costs"? Who are these US tank manufacturers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom