All-Good Chinese Aluminum 80 cf vs Catalina USA 80 cf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Richard Dayan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever heard of or used the All-Good Chinese scuba tanks, I'm buying 6 tanks, and they are $50 cheaper than the Catalina brand

What's your opinion on this brand and are they the same?

Scuba cylinders are pretty basic industrial products. There is no reason to suspect that Chinese tanks would have problems.

But you do need to check the tank markings to make sure they are US spec. It should have at least the following "DOT-3AL3000. [serial number] Mxxxx [born on date] [manufacturer name or symbol] [model name, usually a couple of letters followed by the size in cubic feet]".

DOT-3AL3000 - this indicates an AL tank that meets DOT specifications with a 3000 psi service pressure.

Mxxxx - this is the DOT Manufacturers number. I've attached the current DOT Foreign Manufacturers Master list. The number should be there.

Attachments

• manufacturer-cylinder-listing-01-2018.xls
    72 KB · Views: 16
Can you go fund yourself for the extra $300

What is the purpose of the tanks

Is there a particular characteristic you prefer

or maybe walk the steets for a few hours asking people for money

Fifty bucks divided by twenty years equals???? What does it equal?

China has the ability to make things as well as anyone and they also can make some not so good stuff, the hard part is figuring out which one you’ve got, why not buy two of them and find out.

Are you saving $50 per tank?
OR $50 total on all 6?

As noted, there is a lot of non-trust in mystery china stuff. Selling it later is likely to be an issue as well.
I've acquired some non-DOT tanks over the years. Even though they are perfectly good, they are scrap metal.

Unless you are standing over their heads in the factory inspecting every freaking detail and scrutinizing everything, don't trust anything especially when dealing with potentially extremely hazardous products.
Everyone gets to make their own choices, for a $50 saving per tank I wouldn’t take the chance, but trying one or two just to find out, ??

Personally I would just look for used aluminum since they hold very little value.

I think some of the xenophobia expressed in this thread is a bit distasteful.

Almost every complex machinery you buy today, regardless of whether its an American, European or Asian brand, will have high quality internal components which are made in China.

China has a significant comparative advantage in manufacturing at present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom