All about H-valves and Y-valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26:
I have the option of getting H-valves or not on the couple steel 100's that I'm going to be buying in the near future. Any reason not to get them?
Yes.

H-valves are more redundant (read safer) than k-valves. However to use them correctly you will need two first stages, possibly 3. (The third assumes you don't always dive tanks with h-valves).

Some h-valves are convertable. IE, you unscrew the second valve and replace it with a filler cap. If this is what you are getting that by all means, get it. If not then you need to decide if you want to rearrange and/or purchase new regulators to use it.

Also, often h-valves are DIN so if you are using yoke regulators, you'll need some type of conversion, either on the tank or your reg.

James

If the price is right.
They serve a purpose. If your going to need redundancy in your diving. Get them while you can already installed. If your going to doubles someday and they are matching valves you need only ad a manifold to connect them. They sell used on ebay for about $75 used.
Fred

James is correct but I would add that DIN is better than yoke, so all round I say go for it provided your reg setup is compatible. They are pretty much standard here in much of Europe.
Chris

I only have 1 reg setup right now? The H-valve would be for possible future use. Do you simply plug up the one not in use? Ah, choices, choices.

Mel

melfox26:
I only have 1 reg setup right now? The H-valve would be for possible future use. Do you simply plug up the one not in use? Ah, choices, choices.

Mel
Take a look at the pictures on these pages:

http://www.omsdive.com/valves.html
http://www.omsdive.com/valves2.html#H-SPEC

With this type of H-valve you can remove the additional valve and plug it up, essentyally make it a K-valve. You can also (assuming you get the left and right H-valves) add a manifold for later double setup, as Fred pointed out. Additionally you can add the yoke adapter screw in.

With this setup you are good with your single reg for now, good for later when you add an additional reg or upgrade to DIN and good for possible future doubles diving.

If the H-valve you are looking at do not offer this flexibility then I would recommend just going with the K-valve for now and upgrading later when you need it.

James

James Goddard:
Yes ... H-valves are more redundant (read safer) than k-valves.
James

Hi James,

I want NOT to start an argument but there are many who will state that an H-valve is not any safer than a K-valve. If the tank O-ring blows you'll still be losing gas PDQ. What they offer is REGULATOR redundancy so if a reg starts acting up you can shut it off, assuming you can reach the valves, and switch to your backup. Not necessarily in that order. The 'non-fans' of Hvalves will tell you "if you need redundancy then you need doubles". Of course they say the same for 'ponies' ... if you need a pony you need doubles.

I find them useful because I also dive doubles and not being loaded with cash and able to afford several sets of gear I can use the primary and backup regulators without having to reconfigure the gear.

Regardless of the choice MelFox26 makes; dive well, safe and often.

G_M

Back
Top Bottom