All about H-valves and Y-valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris P. D.:
Okay i understand now so let me ask you this? If i wanted to get rid of carrying around my 19cu foot pony bottle with it's own separate regs would it be wise to go with the H-Valve if all i want is a complete set of second regs just in case my primary craps out on me? Or just stick with carrying my pony?

That depends on your intention. If you only want/need a redundant set of regs, then the H-valve is your solution. If you want/need a redundant air supply, then the pony is better--personally, I prefer a larger pony unless it is just a bail-out bottle on shallow dives--mine is an al40.

Another advantage to the pony is one will do, you can take it along with any configuration. The H-valve must be installed on all your tanks, and you can only dive your tanks, unless you relocate some hoses between dives.

theskull

Thanks for the link Karl....good information. Chris
scubafanatic:
..... about Y-valves..... I own 2 ( one on my E8-130 and another on my OMS LP 112 ) and will likely buy a couple more soon......also own 2 isolation-manifolded twinsets ( OMS LP 85s and Faber LP 76's).

Kim, you're correct, the main 'advantage' to an H-valve is that it can be expanded to build an isolation manifold......however, aside from that, I believe Y-valves are superior.....so I use Y-valves on my single tanks that I have no intention of 'doubling'.....I much prefer the Y-valve layout, much more streamlined/lower profile than H-valves.....I don't like the way one of the H-valve knobs juts straight up.

A Y-valve is essentially a miniaturized isolation manifold.....the only downside is if you blow a tank O-ring or burst disk you can't ioslate that failure....but that rare an event doesn't keep me awake at night.

Another consideration is the Y-valve outlets are closer together than they are with an H-valve, so you need to confirm you can attach your 2 1st-stages to your Y-valve, as sometimes clearance can be an issue......and that you can route all your HP and LP hoses the way you wish.

Here's a neat link to a Y-valve (with 2 regs/BC attached)....... it will show you how cool Y-valves really are:

http://www.fifthd.com/e-education/productinfo/regconfig.html

Karl

I just like having that extra security of knowing i have two sets of regs at my disposal and not necessarily redundant air. I was just looking for another way of safely getting rid of carrying my pony around with me on dives shallower than 100ft.
theskull:
That depends on your intention. If you only want/need a redundant set of regs, then the H-valve is your solution. If you want/need a redundant air supply, then the pony is better--personally, I prefer a larger pony unless it is just a bail-out bottle on shallow dives--mine is an al40.

Another advantage to the pony is one will do, you can take it along with any configuration. The H-valve must be installed on all your tanks, and you can only dive your tanks, unless you relocate some hoses between dives.

theskull

Where can you find that Beuchat Y-Valve that is pictured in the 5th dimension link? I've never seen a y-valve with DIN connections before.

Hi Chris,

...... I'm not a big fan of ponys...I don't like the way they impact my trim/balance...I don't like the clutter.....and I don't like the drag. I'm not saying ponys are 'foolish', it just so far I've chosen either Y-valves or 'real' doubles...a personal decision.

The Y-valve with a bigger tank gives you redundant regulators......and allows me to carry as much or more air than the typical diver with the traditional AL 80 + pony as well.....and is much more compact, lighter, streamlined.

Getting rid of your pony is a judgement call only you can make...best of luck on whatever your decision .

For what it's worth..... I paid $ 260 per Y-valve this spring.....so they aren't cheap, but I really enjoy diving and am happy to buy whatever items fill my needs...it's up to you to decide if they're worth the price.

Karl

Hi Backwoodsdiver,

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex, and bought my Beuchat Y-valves from Emerald Sea Divers in Richardson, TX. ( 972 669 3483) It's a DIN valve with yoke valve inserts, so you can dive your tank with either DIN or Yoke 1st stages....pretty slick!

Karl

Hmmm.... thinking thinking thinking... I know a fellow who want to dump a couple.. it'll come to me.

Big advantage in those Beuchat Y valves is that you can take a couple of pounds off your belt... of course you might find your trim a little head down... especially when you slap another first stage on there.

I have a set of double 100's that I use quite a bit, but some charters have a problem with space involved with having doubles up top. I do not do penetration diving so the issues involving that don't (as one poster stated) "keep me awake at night". I DO see issues with freeflows all of the time here. Much of the water that I dive is 48 degrees or lower.

This allows me to isolate a free-flowing or malfunctioning reg. and (if a simple free-flow do to over breathing/use of reg in cold water) continue the dive after the offending reg "warms back up" or ascend safely on my own gas. The other thing that it allows is conveinence. When I switch to my 120's on the boat, I no longer have to change hoses around to do it. I simply take my regs off my doubles and use them on whichever 120 that I am using.

A pony... I hate them for trim and streamlining issues reasons, but I carry one filled with EAN50 for decompression and safety stop use as called for by my dive plan. This wouldn't work very well at depth though.

I understand the concerns about doubles being safer. I agree, but a 120 with an H-Valve is just one level down and the odds of a "tank problem" are still lower than a regulator issue in cold water. It is still safer than a single tank with a single reg and back-up second stage.

Just my two psi worth here.

I have the option of getting H-valves or not on the couple steel 100's that I'm going to be buying in the near future. Any reason not to get them?

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom