Alkin W31 2nd/3rd stage water separator issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
sunnyboy

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Messages
855
Reaction score
334
Location
Vancouver Island, Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
I found another parts manual; this one lists actual o-ring sizes instead of Alkin part numbers. The o-ring is part no. 6893.06 and listed as metric size: 28.17x3.53 NBR. This appears to be AS568 ('standard') size 216, which I have. I compared both the old one to a new 216 and they are identical.

Just wondering if I should give it a light lube before assembling, as it is 'kind of' a moving part, at least until the cap is tightened.
 

iain/hsm

Contributor
Messages
888
Reaction score
504
Location
uk
I
Just wondering if I should give it a light lube before assembling, as it is 'kind of' a moving part, at least until the cap is tightened.

Why not. You want to go back to all this performance again?

Pretty much anything would be better than nothing.
Something like the heavy thick silicone grease Dow Corning Molycote III
(rather than the thinner lighter MS4)

Or even one of those PTFE pipe paste tins you get in a plumbers mercent or DIY Store
La-Co Slic-tite is one comes to mind for the US market with a handy brush inside the cap.
Careful not to use a pipe thread sealent or we will all be back again stuck solid.

Do consider the option of selling it on to the paint ball folk before it get to cost serious money.
Out of interest did you get a price for a replacement separator off Alkin.
Glad it all worked out OK for you also had the benifit of a good workshop and range of tools.
 
OP
sunnyboy

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Messages
855
Reaction score
334
Location
Vancouver Island, Canada
# of dives
500 - 999
I have silicone grease (Chemplex 710) that was recommended with my rebreather, and it's become kind of my universal go-to grease for anything that's not O2 service.

I put a very thin film on the new o-ring then reassembled the compressor. Full test from 40bar to 390 bar last night and it's working as it used to, without any leaks.
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Top Bottom