Alien seaweed species killing our reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well, at least you don't have that problem with the native Dictyosphaerium anymore. Or is that stuff still kicking around too?

It's the green bubble alga that's been classically reported in ecological reports since the 1960's. It used to cover up a lot of the reefs in Kaneohe Bay when some sewage pipe was built, as I very dimly recall.

I *think* its effects were dramatically ameliorated within the last 10-15 years... dangit where are my journal reprints?

My6 wife and I see it from time to time when we swim at Waimanalo Beach. We wondeed what ir was. Now we know. Thanks for the info.

The Conservancy just got a super-sucker. It is a giant vacuum.

I used to go to those clean-ups. Problem is, doing it by hand...all those people breaking it into pieces....I am not convinced it helps and may actually spread it to other, uninfested areas.

You know, all that beautiful snowflake coral at the Yo257 is alien.

What about the red weeds? Read something about them too. Up side is we have lots of fat juicy yummy turtles now!:wink:

catherine96821:
Problem is, doing it by hand...all those people breaking it into pieces....I am not convinced it helps and may actually spread it to other, uninfested areas.

Catherine has a point here. Keep in mind, "First, Do No Harm".

Check with the people at the Waikiki Aquarium about how to "clean up" the algae before you touch it.

why thanks.

I think one of the best things to do is learn to recognize the various types of Alien algae and report sightings if you see it in new locations. When I come home from the funeral back east, I will post some material I got from the Alien Algae gurus.

That Micronia or whatever it is called is impressive stuff. Wow, what a chokehold it can get on foliage.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom