Alien seaweed species killing our reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
There was an interesting article in the Midweek last week about an invasive seaweed species from (what the paper says) the Philippines called Gorilla ogo. It kills native species basically by smothering them, and it spreads very easily.

The past few years they have been having a clean up over near the Nanatorium. Pulling it off the reef, cleaning out the critters and putting them back. What they have collected is used for fertilizer. Here is an interesting article.

They are going to have another clean up day in November.

I'll post the date after I find it again...if you find any rolling around when you dive you could collect that (make sure there are no other critters inside).

Aloha
I have been collecting a bag on every dive at Turtle canyon. I have even been getting help from the customers. We have collected about two five gallon buckets so far.
Its like a thin carpet, and is killing a lot of the native seaweed and some coral heads.
The easy stuff to collect is the stuff rolling on the sand, as the currents and surge gather it into piles.
Aloha
Roger

Aren't there a couple of underwater vacuum cleaner thingies being used in Kaneohe Bay to remove that nasty green alga? Anybody tried using those things on this Gracilaria?

Ha ha, I this is the first time I've heard of multiple exotic algae species impacting the same local area at once.

yeah, we are getting it from all sides. :(

The sad thing that the article in the paper said the it was our own UH that introduced it :( (along with a ship that sailed in to the Big Island)

justleesa:
The past few years they have been having a clean up over near the Nanatorium. Pulling it off the reef, cleaning out the critters and putting them back. What they have collected is used for fertilizer.

The past few years my daughter's Girl Scout troop has participated in the clean up, though she herself was never able to do it due to sports or various lessons scheduled.

I think it's usually been on a Saturday morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom