Algorithm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I dive a TUSA IQ 700. I think it's great. My wife needs to buy a computer and our local dive shop is recommending the Suunto on the belief that it is more conservative.

We like conservative.

Can you help me understand the comparison of the algorithum in the IQ700 to the Suunto RGBM?

If you need to know models, let me know via PM

Andrew

Last edited:
The Suunto will probably be a little more conservative on some sorts of profiles & styles of diving. 1 dive a month, a week & you'll probably have more NDL than air for the dive on many profiles. Start going longer & deeper, pushing the NDL limits & it will be a bit more conservative. Go into deco & it will probably give you some outrageous number to decompress by. They weren't designed as a deco computer. They have the ability to get you out of trouble if you are inattentive enough to get into some. This is true for most rec. computers. 3 dives a day for 5 days & the Suunto will get progressively more conservative as well.

The Suunto RGBM is probably a bit of a misnomer. More likely it's a neo Haldaneian/ Buhlmann model that's been tweaked, pushed, pulled & with various other manipulations made to behave in a RGBM like way. My Cobra has the 1st iteration of the algorithm but it has no deep stops. That's odd because deeper stops are inherent to the bubble models. The 2nd iteration of the algorithm has deep stops but they can be turned off. It's an odd way to adhere to a model.

Hi Andrew-
Thanks for your inquiry. We have PM'd you a comparison of the current alogorithms on the market. The TUSA algorithm is slightly more liberal than the RGBM, however, as Kern suggested most are developed and manipulated for recreational diving and limits and will allow you good bottom-time within considerable safe NDL's if dived appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom