alexander springs hidden items (right forum this time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember the first time coming back from Alexander Spring after teaching an Open Water class. There was so much sand in my hair, I had to stand under the shower for 30 minutes and I was still finding little bits the next day. Looked like the worst case of dandruff you've ever seen.:D Our dive shop used to go there all the time and I've discovered a way to get rid of all the sand after finishing with my students. Find an area away from the sandstorm and kneel on the bottom. Take your mask off and blow air out your mouth and nose. This will seperate the hairs on your scalp and allow the sand to fall out. Works every time.

If you're in the area, there are a few other springs to check out. They don't allow scuba equipment in these springs, but it's so shallow you can see everything on a snorkel. Get back on SR-40 and head toward Ocala and you'll see the signs for Juniper Springs. It is a really nice basin with a concrete wall around it. Almost looks like a swimming pool with plants growing in it. There is also a creek coming off the springs that you can go canoeing or kayaking down. You can meet your ride at the SR-19 bridge.

Go North on SR-19 for a few miles from the Juniper Creek bridge and you'll see the sign for Silver Glen Springs. It is a state park now, but I remember it when it was a privately owned campground. There are two springs you can swim in that have LARGE striped bass (36 to 50 inches) that come from nearby Lake George. They have no fear of divers and you can almost reach out to touch them.

Head North on SR-19 for 10 miles to the little town of Salt Springs. There is another state park there with concessions and a swimming area. There are 4 or 5 boils in the swimming area. Swim down into the boils and look under the rocks and you might see some very large blue crabs hiding there.

It is like diving in a giant 30 foot deep (barely) swimming pool. The resident gator is friendly enough and various turtles etc. I find the common male rednekous fatus to be prolific in the area. They often regale one another in droop arse board shorts and display puffed up beer bellies in a bizzare mating ritual that usually garners the attention of the female rednekous fatus. Often outfitted in a bikini to small for their large posteriors they can be seen displaying in the waters overhead with their little fat legs going back and forth in an odd and amusing combination dog paddle/treading stroke. Sometimes they attempt to mate in the shallows until the friendly gator frightens them away with copious squeeling sounds fit for a barn yard. Further and careful scientific scrutiny is needed to ascertain the meaning of odd markings often displayed by the female rednekus fatus just above their posterior on their lower backs. Perhaps it is indicative of a readiness to mate and is a signal to the male that such is the case, more research and funding is needed. N

Nemrod:
It is like diving in a giant 30 foot deep (barely) swimming pool. The resident gator is friendly enough and various turtles etc. I find the common male rednekous fatus to be prolific in the area. They often regale one another in droop arse board shorts and display puffed up beer bellies in a bizzare mating ritual that usually garners the attention of the female rednekous fatus. Often outfitted in a bikini to small for their large posteriors they can be seen displaying in the waters overhead with their little fat legs going back and forth in an odd and amusing combination dog paddle/treading stroke. Sometimes they attempt to mate in the shallows until the friendly gator frightens them away with copious squeeling sounds fit for a barn yard. Further and careful scientific scrutiny is needed to ascertain the meaning of odd markings often displayed by the female rednekus fatus just above their posterior on their lower backs. Perhaps it is indicative of a readiness to mate and is a signal to the male that such is the case, more research and funding is needed. N

Wow thats a heck of a rant you got there. Lol although I do think I'm inclinded to agree with you on a few aspects of your write up.

We should plan a dive/cookout for some weekend! Thanks for the tip about waiting until later in the day.

Oh -- I bought a Dee Rag for the springs. After my first trip to Alexander Springs, I didn't think I'd ever get that sand/muck out - yuck!! I got a dee rag for next time!

Another place that's really cool is Salt Springs National Park. It is mostly a large shallow basin with no diving allowed, just snorks. If, however, you have a boat or even an inflatable launch, you can drive around the corner to the marina. Launchingfees are $4 and Gibbon and I have taken dive gear there before. The main run starts just at the rope of the park and extends for iles to Lake George. The first part of the run is about a mile long and all of it crystal clear. Most of it is shallow enough to walk until you get to the middle and it drops to about fifteen feet plus. There have been a LOT of artifacts found there. Around the third bend in the run I believe s a bank called shell mound where many arrowheads and even a few sharks teeth have been found. I spoke with a dive on a fishing trip there and he says he likes to dive to see where the fish are, then throws a line in the water, since ya can't spear in FW anymore. You can dive, you can fish, just not at the same time.

I just got back from diving Alexander Springs w/ 427Dave. Couldnt find the hidden bottle, but we did hide a golfball I brought - its hidden quite well and has the word "Floater" written on it. If you find it post here and rehide it again :wink: I think we are going to try and hide one or two more things next time!

I will give a hint, It is NOT in the cavern,:D:D We had a good time playing underwater football.....:D Went back in the cavern as far as I could get with a light and still didn't see anything except catfish.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom