Alert: Nws using holiday season to sneak through new manatee swim restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad to see this happening. I just got back from a trip to crystal river (on Jan 2nd) and then ginnie springs/devils den the rest of the weekend.
I must say the manatee experience was great and as crowded as it was everyone seemed to respect the manatees and not disturb them. Now we did not go on a tour, we rented out own kayak and paddled out to the viewing areas (one being three sisters spring) so we brought our own fins and all. We had no issues and made a whole day out of it got there at 8:30am and had the kayak back by 4pm. I must say if you are experienced in kayaking and don't mind the bit of a paddle this was a great way to do it and I would totally do it again. We even were able to dock up and eat lunch at the ale house by I think it was kings spring. In all it was a great first experience there and I'm sad to hear that they may be putting more restrictions than there already are on this experience.

todays news release,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,appears as if kayaks/canoes are temporarily given a reprieve,,,,,,,

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Crystal River NWR Complex
1502 SE Kings Bay Dr.
Crystal River, FL 34429
Phone: 352-563-2088
Fax: 352-795-7961
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Release #:
DATE: March 2, 2015 Contact: Ivan Vicente, 563-2088, x211
NEW RESTRICTIONS AT THREE SISTERS SPRINGS IMPLEMENTED TODAY
After having published its Final Environmental Assessment (“Manatee Wildlife Viewing on Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge, Three Sisters Springs) the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will further increase manatee protection and improve the in-water visitor experience at Three Sisters Springs by implementing several new measures under the approved Environmental Assessment, today.
The immediate measures to be implemented today are listed:
1) Closure of two lobes of the springs (western lobe and eastern lobe) excluding all public entry and recreational uses in those two areas via the installation of underwater exclusion markers.
2) Require a Special Use Permit for the use of any type of flash photography inside the warm water springs at Three Sisters Springs. Special Use Permits for diffused flash photography will only be issued for educational or research purposes.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will not exclude non-motorized vessels until it confirms the support of the Crystal River City Council on the implementation of this measure.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal Federal agency responsible for conserving, protecting, and enhancing fish, wildlife, and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.  The Service manages the 150-million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System, which encompasses more than 560 national wildlife refuges, thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas.  It also operates 69 national fish hatcheries, 64 fishery resource offices and 81 ecological services field stations.  The agency enforces Federal wildlife laws, administers the Endangered Species Act, manages migratory bird populations, restores nationally significant fisheries, conserves and restores wildlife habitat such as wetlands, and helps foreign governments with their conservation efforts.  It also oversees the Federal Aid program that distributes hundreds of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to State fish and wildlife agencies.

reefman
key largo

map,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• three-sisters-springs-manatee-closure-areas.jpg
    three-sisters-springs-manatee-closure-areas.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 93
NEW RESTRICTIONS AT THREE SISTERS SPRINGS IMPLEMENTED TODAY

I fear this is not well-thought out and will have lots of unintended consequences. I had submitted a 5,500-word comment document to them in mid-December, apparently to no avail. I sent them this today:

Well, I guess my 5,559-word well-reasoned plea fell on deaf ears . . .

:)

I fear you're in for a world of unintended consequences with the two seemingly simple rules. I know they come from a good place, and I won't make the arguments again, and all I can say is that I hope I'm wrong. I do have a couple of questions for you, partly because I'm curious and partly because if you haven't thought of some of these ramifications, you will need to.

1. First of all, what is "diffused flash photography"? I have been an UW photog for over 30 years and I have never heard that term. I think non-photogs have created a phrase that won't make sense to photogs.
2. What about video lights? There is zero mention of them so I assume video lights of any type and any brightness are permitted.
3. How do you intend to enforce the SUP for "any type of flash photography"? This must also include the flashes on little point-and-shoot cameras as well as big, professional rigs. Will there be someone at the mouth of the slough checking every person who enters for cameras? If you find someone with a small camera with a flash, will you make them turn around? Will they have to go back to the office to get the SUP or will you sell them on the spot? Will you be ticketing anyone who gets by you with a small flash and takes a flash picture without an SUP? You either going to have to ticket a bunch of people, turn away a bunch of people, or both. And if I as a pro went and got an SUP and saw ANYONE with a small camera who didn't have an SUP and the lovely vest, I would complain loudly and vociferously about being singled out and discriminated against.
4. For those who do get an SUP, there seem to be NO other restrictions. It seems as long as I have an SUP and I stay out of the closed areas, I can take as many flash pictures of manatees as I want at whatever speed my flash recycles. Basically, it's OK for me to blind the animal as long as I've paid the fee for an SUP?

I really hope this is a work-in-progress because I think this just simply has NOT been well-thought through in terms of how far-reaching and complicated implementation is going to be. And while #4 may sound a bit facetious, I think it is something (along with #3) that you're very quickly going to have to address.

I truly hope this doesn't create too many enforcement headaches for you guys. Needless to say, feel free to share this e-mail with whomever you think appropriate.

- Ken

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom