Alaska diving death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats a pretty detailed account from what I usually see but seems strange he couldn't dump weight unless it was all unditchable.

The media are an easy target upon which people vent their frustrations. Yes, reporters make mistakes. Yes, TV is often frivolous and newspapers sensationalize. But if that wasn't what attracted viewers or readers, then perhaps more Americans people would listen and donate to NPR.

It seems to me that this article merely quotes a source who was there. Was the source wrong or the reporter? At least I didn't see "oxygen tank."

Yes, I'm offering a choice.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Many members use the Edit Options to subscribe to the forums from which they want to view new posts. I subscribe to accidents but not the Alaska regional group. If this is an accident discussion, then more people will be able to view it if this one stays here. Just my 500 psi

So he was out of air yet made it to the surface. Then they switched tanks? Even if this was true he would have had to positive at that point. Oral inflation of the BC could have done that if nothing else. Then he sank, with air in the tank? And did not surface....Hummm?

So he was out of air yet made it to the surface. Then they switched tanks? Even if this was true he would have had to positive at that point. Oral inflation of the BC could have done that if nothing else. Then he sank, with air in the tank? And did not surface....Hummm?

Clearly there are a lot if elements to this story that we do not understand yet. As always, the initial report of any accident like this one will spark a lot more questions. The first report is the rough sketch, and subsequent reports will fill in the details. It is always best to wait a bit and eventually the full story will emerge.

I agree with the comment that the media catches a bad rap. Remember, reporters on these types of stories are not experts, probably not even divers. If someone in authority tells them something that is wrong, that will filter down into the story. It is also important to remember that a journalist gets dropped into a story they know nothing about, is expected to research it and write it under extremely tight deadlines and get the facts right. I would say they do that about 95% of the time. That's a pretty good track record in any business

In this case, I would say the reporter did a credible job on a story that is still maturing.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom