Alaska diving death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a fairly inexperienced D/M to me.

Anytime a diver with me runs OOA, I will take their weight belt off them at the surface and keep it with me.

This particular D/M apparently did not know that professional trick.

And you never, never relinquish your own tank and gear in a swap. That is the gear that you understand the most, and on which your own life hinges.

Lots of apparent CFs in this story.

Thats a pretty detailed account from what I usually see but seems strange he couldn't dump weight unless it was all unditchable.

WildCard's cite does speak of a weight belt of some kind.

It is amazing how many deaths occur as buoyancy issues where the victims are still wearing their weight belt. It is clear that the basic open water courses are NOT succeding in teaching divers to drop their belts when distressed at the surface.

Very sad. Odd story. Condolences to the family and diving community @ Seward.

When accidents happen I always expect all hell to break loose. It's never as simple as a weight belt ditch, or a simple tow to safety. There are so many factors going on that the rescuer and victim are often in hyperdrive.

I hope more info. comes soon to shed light.

X

The acid test of a mass media scuba incident report is if they say "ran out of oxygen" or not.

Back
Top Bottom