Alam Batu Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indonesia is a poor third world country. The requirement for foreigners to dive with a dive guide generates income for the local economy.
Thank you for your wise statement
you are correct. this regulation will generate income to local economy, support thousands dive guide and his family.
However this regulation is applicable for all recretional diving, not only for foreigner. Albeit hundreds dives I did in Tulamben, I always use local dive guide; I'm local and I'm poor too.

you are correct. this regulation will generate income to local economy, support thousands dive guide and his family.
However this regulation is applicable for all recretional diving, not only for foreigner. Albeit hundreds dives I did in Tulamben, I always use local dive guide; I'm local and I'm poor too.
My expectation is that from amongst the 20% poorest Indonesians, you will not find any engaged in leisure activities such as polo, golf, sky diving, and skiing. But if you question Indonesians who are actually engaged in these activities, you will be able to find individuals who will say that they are poor.

I was there in October 2023, and conditions were not rough at all. When we had to swim out to the dive boat, the guides were always helpful with transporting gear. The dive center is very well organized and flexible according to guest's wishes - they will accommodate and plan dives according to your preferences.

Indonesia is a poor third world country. The requirement for foreigners to dive with a dive guide generates income for the local economy.
We are not a poor third world country. rather a developing country.

Yes, even your driver, housekeeper and gardener are all poor.....Only joking.

Yes, legally, a local dive guide or instructor is required to accompany or supervise recreationally scuba diving in Indonesia. Clearly stipulated in the Peraturan Menteri (Minister Regulation) no. 7 2016, appendix SOP. Solo diving is not allowed.
I can tell you, if something wrong happen to you or your buddy which will involve police investigation, then the New Zealand expat who rented tank will get very difficult time; and might trigger other investigation including the legality of what he's doing.
Hello Wisnu,
The New Zealand expat is the brother of a late friend of mine that was killed climbing in the Himalayas.
We DO NOT rent the tanks from him. We either go diving with him or he lets us have the tanks for free when we go without him. Does this change anything?

Yes, even your driver, housekeeper and gardener are all poor.....Only joking.
Dear Indah,
I have always dreamed of diving and experiencing the many wonders of the Lembeh Strait, but the
costs of getting there and diving there have always seemed to be way out of reach for my budget ....

I am very intrigued by the Marcus Aurelius quote that you display at the end of all of your posts:
"VERY LITTLE IS NEEDED TO LIVE A HAPPY LIFE" and I am wondering if this wisdom still applies
for the price I would have to pay to dive with your outfit in Lembeh? Only joking!

Dear Indah,
I have always dreamed of diving and experiencing the many wonders of the Lembeh Strait, but the
costs of getting there and diving there have always seemed to be way out of reach for my budget ....

I am very intrigued by the Marcus Aurelius quote that you display at the end of all of your posts:
"VERY LITTLE IS NEEDED TO LIVE A HAPPY LIFE" and I am wondering if this wisdom still applies
for the price I would have to pay to dive with your outfit in Lembeh? Only joking!
I think that the trip to get here is the most expensive part. Once here, you will have your own very comfortable bungalow with a great view and a lot of privacy, your own private boat, with dive guide and two men crew, and of course nice meals adjusted to your personal taste.
By the way, Marcus Aurelius did not dive. For him, happiness is a side effect of living a virtuous life.

I think that the trip to get here is the most expensive part. Once here, you will have your own very comfortable bungalow with a great view and a lot of privacy, your own private boat, with dive guide and two men crew, and of course nice meals adjusted to your personal taste.
By the way, Marcus Aurelius did not dive. For him, happiness is a side effect of living a virtuous life.
Had to look twice, an i know that wise mans face..
You are totally correct on the laws that get petty much bend on the east coast here in Bali. Like you say until something goes wrong and i seen it quite a few times.....
What i really signed up for is to say we really had a great time at your place last summer... if it wasn't for the wife i'll be back there in a hart beat with the kids, "i have a new target - a hairy octopus thanks to the couple that was there at the same time they saw one, we met them later on the boat in banka after seeing the dugong :)" (sorry for smoking too much.....)

And about the conditions in alam batu and generally that side of bali, depends on the time of the year, as soon as the east winds come ( normally around feb-may) you can have a few month of quite a bit of swell, that automatically comes with big waves hitting the shore, something i cannot recommend to anyone as it can be quite dangerous at times and that's rainy season so visibility can go down to not enjoyable diving experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom