Alam Batu Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RakayMe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can someone please tell me if the water is rough in this area for boat diving with Alam Batu Resort? Thank you.

Did 20+ shores dive from the beaches around Alam Batu, Kubu and Tulamben back in October. Under normal conditions, the water is not rough at all. Sometimes there are light to moderate currents, but the dive master will sort this out for you. Enjoy!

Sorry, but I have never stayed at the Alam Batu Resort. We "shore dive" exclusively without a guide and we always stay at the Ocean View Resort in Tulamben. We rent a car, pack it full with tanks and dive wherever and whenever we like. Diving freedom....

Sorry, but I have never stayed at the Alam Batu Resort. We "shore dive" exclusively without a guide and we always stay at the Ocean View Resort in Tulamben. We rent a car, pack it full with tanks and dive wherever and whenever we like. Diving freedom....
Until something happens, then you are confronted that you did something which is forbidden by Indonesian law.

We were there last year late February-early March. The first few days it was windy and rough. The boat diving wasn’t bad but shore diving and swimming out to the boat was sporty. Enough to cancel one afternoon dive. After that the wind changed and it was perfectly flat from then on.

Until something happens, then you are confronted that you did something which is forbidden by Indonesian law.
Dear Indah,
Thank you for commenting and I am not challenging your assertions. I just wanted to clarify that I always have a dive buddy (my lovely wife!). Solo diving may be regulated, but I have never heard of anyone
discriminating against two (or more) certified divers respectfully enjoying the local reefs without a guide.
We get our tanks from a New Zealand expat (married to an Indonesian national) who owns an in-house/private compressor. Please advise.

Thank you Indah!

Dear Indah,
Thank you for commenting and I am not challenging your assertions. I just wanted to clarify that I always have a dive buddy (my lovely wife!). Solo diving may be regulated, but I have never heard of anyone
discriminating against two (or more) certified divers respectfully enjoying the local reefs without a guide.
We get our tanks from a New Zealand expat (married to an Indonesian national) who owns an in-house/private compressor. Please advise.

Thank you Indah!
Yes, legally, a local dive guide or instructor is required to accompany or supervise recreationally scuba diving in Indonesia. Clearly stipulated in the Peraturan Menteri (Minister Regulation) no. 7 2016, appendix SOP. Solo diving is not allowed.
I can tell you, if something wrong happen to you or your buddy which will involve police investigation, then the New Zealand expat who rented tank will get very difficult time; and might trigger other investigation including the legality of what he's doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom