Alabama Point Jetties 8-7-5 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed to Bayou Point Boat Launch with the intention of setting up my Zodiac and jumping out into the gulf and heading west for about 5 miles to dive the Gulf State Pier, but I'm an idiot and forgot to bring the friggin pump for my inflatable.

Patrick Davis and I opted to just dive the outside of the West jetties at Alabama Point instead of calling for the day. The walk from the parking area to the beach on the outside(gulfside) is probably about the same distance as the walk from the parking lot to the jetties in Destin. So we endured that crap in the heat and found ourselves at the water's edge. The inside(pass side) portion of the jetties had nice visibility with the current carrying any particulate out to the bay, not so on the outside of the jetties. Directly off the beach and out to about 75' from shore the water was nasty brown with tons of particulate making visibility in the 6" range. After that, things opened up and we enjoyed 15-20' of visibility. We were not diving slack tide so we had to stay within the outside of the jetty and kept carefull about not getting too far around the point. Saw lots of the normal jetty fish and litterly dozens and dozens of rays that scattered the bottom(mostly southern, but there was another species that I hadn't seen before in almost the same numbers). We encountered a few jellyfish, but they aren't thick enough for us to really have to worry about them yet(looks like it will be a light year for the jellys - whoohoo!). We also managed to tag a half dozen flounder :) good eaten tonight!

Maxed my depth at 16' and dove for ~ 45min before Patrick got hooked twice by different fisherman and we called the dive.

How long would it take to manually inflate the boat ? :D

Takes ~10-15 minutes with the foot pump. I don't ever want to try to inflate that thing by mouth! :D

Matt,
Bummer about the pump. I can have someone from IA (Idiots Anon) contact you about your problem. With limited therapy, you can begin forgetting all kinds of things, such as those pesky extra weights and the all important regulator. Glad everything turn out OK. Thanks for the report.
Howard

First time I've forgotten it, hopefully it wont happen again.

Paul - I've been thinking about rigging up an adapter to use an extra tank to fill it up :) I may have the extra incentive to actually get off my butt and do it now.

Sounds like a fun dive Mat, even if It wasn't on miss jellyfish. Glad you still got some good eats while you were out on the jetties. I was eating a flounder dinner last night thinking yours probably tasted better.. :)

Matt

SuPrBuGmAn:
First time I've forgotten it, hopefully it wont happen again.

Paul - I've been thinking about rigging up an adapter to use an extra tank to fill it up :) I may have the extra incentive to actually get off my butt and do it now.

What are you using on the flounder? A 4' pole spear?

5' JBL Polespear, the anodized aluminum kind with a swivelling twin barb tip. Excellent for flounder and smaller free swimming fish(I've tagged several sheepshead with it). I have a couple extra's if you want to drive over and give one a whirl one day before purchasing your own. You can get the entire setup at LP for ~50 I'd imagine. From what I've been told, 4' is excellent in shallow waters and jetties since you can whip it around easily. 6'-7' are great for deeper waters where larger fish may happen by. I bought the 5' as a happy medium, since I do alot of shallower dives as well as the occasional boat trip out to deeper water.

Besides, I have a 54" ABBiller for the bigger fish :wink:

Here's a pic of Patrick holding up our catch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom