Alabama Gulf State Pier 5-28-5 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Josh L and I took the Zodiac out of Bayou Point yesterday morning and headed out of Perdido Pass in Orange Beach and West a few miles to the Gulf State Park Pier in Gulf Shores. The pier isn't open for divers normally, but Hurricane Ivan busted it up nicely, so its condemned and closed to fishermen ontop - which opens it up for divers by boat. There were two boats reel fishing on arrival and a different boat fishing when we surfaced. They stayed a safe enough distance from my inflatable w/dive flag. There is no land access to it, the roads were destroyed as well. Current was moving very slowly from the West and there weren't any seas to speak of - it was glassy on the way out and a bit of wind chop on the way in. It was a beautiful day, cool in the morning, but it did get pretty damned hot by mid-day. There wasn't too many boats about during our way out, but the pass was jammed up with boat traffic when we got back.

There were large schools of mullet and spadefish everywhere. There were also sheepshead, white trout, redfish(drum), pompano, and hardtails schooling. Saw a few southern rays and blennies filled in crevices made by barnacles and coral on the pier pilings. I found a nice sized anchor and after picking it up out of the sand, a small octopus shot ink everywhere before jetting off out of sight. Flounder littered the bottom and we took 5 of em as well as a nice sized sheepshead, filling the small styrofoam icechest we picked up from the gas station :)

Visibility varied from ~3' to 30+' depending on which side of the pier you were on and at what depth in the water column you happened to be in. Theres a funky layer on top, I believe from spawning, and the bottom is pretty stirred up, I believe from the dredging taking place not too far off. Midwater was very clear. We dove for about 70min hitting a maximum depth of 18'. It made for an excellent dive, it was totally awesome looking up at the sun through the pier columns with litterly hundreds of mullet and spadefish schooling around you in circles. Would have been a great day for the camera. I had been wanting to hit this site since the hurricane made it available and I'm glad I went through the trouble of getting out there. I haven't heard of anyone else actually diving it, even though a ton of people have expressed interest at the local dive shops.

No pics this time around. I meant to bring the camera along for some top-side camera action, but I forgot. I decided a while back that bringing a camera down while trying to hunt fish is a bit too much to handle at once, so I don't bring both UW. I have plenty of fish in the freezer now though, if I haven't gone through all my fish by the next time I dive the site, I'll definately have the camera with me UW. There were definately a ton of potential shots there - some nice wide angle shots of the fish schooling around us with the sun peaking out behind the pillars would have been excellent!

rfman:
Did you get any pics? I always wondred what that dive would be like. Wish I was there.

When you get back from overseas, shoot me a line - might be able to arrange another little trip out :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom