Alabama Coast dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
My first dive of the day was with Gary rolling off the side of the boat into some awesome water. Man the viz was great you couldn’t help but to think is this really the Gulf Water or have we traveled further than I thought. Our first dive was on what we call a chicken coop an artificial reef placed there to help the fish populations as the coop came into view I couldn’t help from a grin crossing my face thinking to myself man I sure bet Rick Murchison and Seayoda would love to be here with their cameras because swimming around on top of the coop was two of the prettiest large Butterfly fish I have come across in a long time. Here at the coop was a large display of bait fish and young AJ’s but nothing we were looking for so it was back to the boat for another spot.

At this point we all had a partner dive between us so we decided to try some pyramids and solo then when my rotation came around again I did my roll off the side and headed down. Have you ever watched an old movie where a circus would come to town and all the kids and people would follow it through the streets? That’s what it must have looked like on my dive here all the fish would fall in line and follow me where ever I went. Here at this stop was the large schools of baitfish once again with a few added Trigger fish and small AJ’s These trigger fish where something else to say the least they would swim right into you even straight into your mask I was continually pushing them away. After site seeing a little and nothing we were looking for I was back to the boat for the next dive.

In rotation this time Gary brought up a couple nice Snapper and Scott on his dive brought up lunch, Remember them stupid Triggers I was telling you about Scott grew tired of pushing them off so he brought up a nice one and Gary broke out the grill. At this point I would like to stress if you ever out with the GulfDiver you got to get him to prepare a meal for you he has his own special seasoning I have never ate trigger before this dive but dang this made for a nice fish sandwich

After rotating off again and on our last dive of the day we hit a large barge we coupled up again. On this one me and Scotts wife were the first over the side viz was not as good on this site as the others but still a nice dive. We never met up under the water she followed the barge one direction and I must have went the other. I seen a lot of sand and a few barrel like structures sticking up out of the sand but very little fish other than what a hook-n- liners would have found nice. Then my first problem arose of the day I’m at 100/+ feet and my weight belt snap gives way luckily I was able to grab it before it got away. At this point I was running different plans of action through my head and remembering I have had a lot of bottom time today on air at depth I’m thinking oh **** so I cram my gun between my legs and dump my BC and hit the sand like a rock dropping a good five feet to it. Knowing I’m in the yellow already on my computer I try and fix the snap at the same time trying to control my gun from getting away from me. After a few minutes and getting pissed from shoving the fish off me I throw my belt around my neck and end the dive. Anyone ever try to control your balance on ascent with a belt around your neck and a gun in one hand? I made a very slow ascent trying to keep from going bottom up man I must have looked funny. But in the end I did it I just remembered what an old instructor told me once if you got air you got no problem just fix what needs fixed. Arriving back on the boat Marcy soon surfaces with a grin bigger than her reg in her hand she carries a nice Lobster and on her stringer she packs a couple of flounder we will never live this down

The day turned out to be a great adventure and one of thrill one that I will remember for years to come but the best part was meeting new friends and some good food . For this I want to thank Gulf Divers and I do highly recommend them

Oh by the way if anyone would just happen to come across a compass sitting at the base of a Pyramid there in the Gulf do me a big favor Stomp that thing it has given me more trouble than it was worth over the years. Sorry no pic’s I’m like Sedoggirl a gun and camera just don’t go together..

Great report Tom, sounds like a great set of dives with a lot to look at as far as fish :D Sounds like you handled the problem well enough on the third dive without any ill effects, and thats always good - LOL!

tom wicker:
...Seayoda would love to be here with their cameras ...
Go ahead, rub it in :D.

Nice report - sounds like you had a great day.

SeaYoda:
Go ahead, rub it in :D.

Nice report - sounds like you had a great day.

SeaYoda even though I haven’t had the privilege of meeting you personally which I soon hope to change by judging from your post on here and the shots you post which I do admire from a professional point of view on your photography, I do believe you would have enjoyed having to almost part the fish with your hands to see through them. The whites of their big eyes shown clearly they were so close

Good job! Everyone LOVES Gary at Gulf Diver. He is not the biggest operator out there but his customer service and attention to detail makes diving the biggest pleasure. If there is anything that Gary knows it is CUSTOMER SERVICE. We love you Gary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom