AL80 - Luxfer or Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at picking up a couple of use AL80s.

Is there any reason to prefer Luxfer over Catalina or vice versa?

Does either brand trim out pretty much the same?

luxfer tends to be preferred for trim and buoyancy characteristics. The extra half pound of positive buoyancy is quite nice to have for stage bottles, especially if you use them DIR style with everything on the left. It adds up quick

I've always sided with Luxfers......

I have/had both.The older Catalinas had a thicker bottom and neck. As a result were slightly heavier. For about the past 20 years they have been pretty much the same.

I own both Catalina and Luxfer and i rarely notice an appreciable difference when using them together. I've also got a Hymark and I believe another brand, I really don't notice the differences between any of them and just grab whatever tank has whatever I need in a it.

I like Catalinas for BM doubles a little more, they are a little less butt-floaty. If you're using these tanks as stage bottles, most divers are used to Luxfers and will prefer those. For use as single tanks I'm not sure I could tell much, if any difference.

I like Catalinas for BM doubles a little more, they are a little less butt-floaty. If you're using these tanks as stage bottles, most divers are used to Luxfers and will prefer those. For use as single tanks I'm not sure I could tell much, if any difference.

Now, I'm confused. The video that kevrumbo posted seems to show that the Catalina is more butt-floaty, not less.

Back
Top Bottom