AL50 As A Pony Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hudson_hawk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello all
i have a just hydrode al50 tank
i also got from my brother a tusa reg set up no octo or gadges
can this set up be used for a pony on depper dives like 80 ft or so ?
if i can this set up coould be good and cheep / i wounder if the 50 is to big and awkward to use /or should i go for a 30 or 40 cf
thanks all
also if it can be used how would i take it ive had a 40 cf staped to me on my advanced open water cert and i liked it

A 50 is getting kinda big to take along on an 80' dive - maybe you should call it a horse tank. It starts making the dive more like work. A 40 with the thinner tank diameter works great as a stage or deco bottle, but the 30 really fits in well on a rig and still has enough reserve gas in case the dive starts to go to hell.

Ha ha ha - I think Tom is right on - this would be more of a Clydesdale than a pony bottle. :wink:

We use slung 80's all the time for deco diving. The function of a pony is to get you to the surface in the event of a critical gas failure. You could use a 50 but you would feel the load underwater. It would take time and practice to get used to accessing everything on your system with that bear there and I suggest you counterbalance your lead.

I assume we're talking about recreational boat diving.

--Matt

A 30 is usually about right and can be used as an O2 bottle later. Do the math for your air consumption and desired reserve.

Definitely too big to use as a pony, but would work as a stage bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom