Al or SS plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kinda late on the message, but I like the SS> just because I would personally rather be overweighted and sink then float. But then again....I am a fat *** pushing 135 soaking wet and I would sink wearing AL. with an Al 80 on my back..I just realized I should probably dive an AL. plate...or go to MC. D's and pack on some pounds.

Greetings,

I am trying to resolve the same quandary with SS or aluminum BP. I do both cold water and tropical dives with the proper exposure protection. I have been leaning towards the aluminum plate for travel restrictions mentioned in previous posts. I will just add the additional 4-5 lbs on my weight belt or secure it to my plate when diving in Canada with the dry suit.

I would assume that it's going to be more then 4lbs wearing a dry suit in canada vs. a tropical 3mm shorty or nothing, well I hope you wear shorts :D. There was a simmilar thread about a guy with an aluminum plate diving warm waters somewhere and he was still negative In a 3mm and no extra weight. I think he was somewhere around 5lbs neg. Maybe try it out with an aluminum and if you find your still neg with no extra weight then go for the SS in canada and one of the plastics. DSS has a wicked looking one.

For an extra $80-100 you can stop nickel rocketing and get both!

Seriously, if you dive in varied conditions, you'll eventualy want both anyway.

JimC:
For an extra $80-100 you can stop nickel rocketing and get both!

Seriously, if you dive in varied conditions, you'll eventualy want both anyway.

Agreed! When I collect a couple more "SCUBA bucks", I'll buy the SS BP. The aluminum works well with the 3mm in warm water and the extra weight on the belt is bearable for the dry suit. Hey, it's only money!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom