Al Handle for Dalton Safety Knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for some feedback. I'm planning on making a few Daltion DIR safety knives and was eyeing some aluminum handled knives made by Rada. What do you guys think? I'd like some feedback before ordering a few.

There are plenty of reviews of the Al handles tarnishing in the dishwasher. I wouldn't mind tarnish color, but would the texture become rougher, possibly tearing into my gloves?
Any reactions I should know about, between SS and Al pressed up against each other and exposed to salt water?

Also on another note, does anyone have any specific brand models of 3-riveted serrated steak knives they'd recommend for this project?
I'm looking specifically for old school arch or triangle serrations, I'd rather have serrations where you need to work a tiny amount to cut fishing line. I don't want a knife that can cut through anything like butter (I'm worried about being clumsy.)

Thanks in advance!

R105.jpg

Amazon.com: Rada Cutlery Serrated Steak Knife, Made in USA, Aluminum Handle (R105): Kitchen & Dining

I would say lighter is better so it doesn't fall out as easily when inverted. Plus if you drop it, you might have an extra second to catch it as it falls through the water column. Those look heavy, but probably work great as steak knives. Having lost a couple knives I want to consider them disposable.

Like you I like serrations, and it takes more time to oil the die grinder than it does to cut the tip off.

Good point. Shipping weight is 6.1oz for one knife.
My current one is an unknown Tramontina. I think DSS makes it, though I got it from Piranha. It unfortunately is hard to rinse under the handle and has rusted just at the hilt and probably into the handle as well.

I'm looking for a knife that won't do that, which is why I'm aiming for the Rada or a riveted knife. Looking for something that won't hurt my wallet, yet will last and be easy to maintain, assuming I don't lose it.
I think a riveted one would have a thick blade and be more than 6.1oz?

Any insight? I'm kinda ballparking in the dark here.
Any idea what Halcyon knives are weighing in at? :D

Try shopping for a knife set at say Target. If it rusts throw it away, and grab another one. Takes about 40 seconds to cut and round the corners over a little. Oh I forget the extra 15 seconds to oil the angle grinder with the sanding disk on it. (My rule is every time an air tool comes out of my tool box it gets oiled. After years of daily use they are still serviceable.)

The Halcyon knives I have seen and own are titanium. Forget about them.

Well I'm kinda relegated to bolt cutters, file, and a gummy stone right now. :(
Guess I'll look at the resin handled knives again, stick with something I know.

Know anyone with a Dremel tool even? Shouldn't take much to cut it.

Know anyone with a Dremel tool even? Shouldn't take much to cut it.

I can probably find someone. First things first, I need a knife.

not good .....SS steal and aluminium made in saltwater galvanic couple (if you read some DIR book that is on first pages ;-)) )

PS more precise answer :In galvanic series Aluminum is anodic to Steel (-1.03 V vs -0.44 V).

Well that dropped any longing I had left for the rada knives. Good info to know, thanks.

I gave up searching the local stores, there was nothing that really met up to my expectations, so I'm just going to pick up a cheap 12 pack from amazon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom