Al 80 online purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

74fencer

Reaction score
I am pricing tanks at the LDS and online. Scubatoys seem to have the best deal going. Do I need to call them to recieve the member discount because I dont see anywhere on their order form about it? TIA P.S(what color :11: )

I bought 2 AL80's from ScubaToys in February. I think you do need to call to get the discount. Just ask for Larry and ask for the ScubaBoard discount. I expect you'll enjoy talking with him.

After noticing all the chipped paint on colored tanks that are a few years old, I opted for a natural aluminum finish, I think they call it "shot glass", or something like that. Even though my tanks aren't real pretty now, I figure they won't look any worse a few years from now; just my opinion. I also bought tank boots and valve covers at the same time I bought the tanks.

You might want to see what your LDS offers. Looking at the online price + shipping+ the original fill, your up to around $145. My LDs sells AL-80 for about that with a 10 free air fill card, worth about $50 around here (air fills are $5 in this area) which puts to total cost of the tank at around $100 when you add it all up.

As for color the best two options are shot blasted and brushed. The brushed looks awesome, and is durable with no comparison to paint or even the 'clear coated' tanks.

I'd get the brushed.

herman:
You might want to see what your LDS offers. Looking at the online price + shipping+ the original fill, your up to around $145. My LDs sells AL-80 for about that with a 10 free air fill card, worth about $50 around here (air fills are $5 in this area) which puts to total cost of the tank at around $100 when you add it all up.

I have to agree. The only way that it is viably to buy tanks online is if you don't have a LDS or they want full retail. Most don't think about the tank not being shipped with any pressure and maybe the valve off so they have to have a VIP.

crpntr133:
I have to agree. The only way that it is viably to buy tanks online is if you don't have a LDS or they want full retail. Most don't think about the tank not being shipped with any pressure and maybe the valve off so they have to have a VIP.

Agree completely. Even on Ebay, I won't buy a tank unless I can get it for way less than $100 bucks. With shipping, you're up to the retail price for new AL 80. My LDS sells them for $139 walk out the door price.

I've not seen them for less online when you factor in shipping, and even if you pay a few dollars more at the LDS, you are building a relationship that will be there when you need it. My LDS ALWAYS gives me a 10% discount on anything in the store. I recently bought a new Riffe and saved about $50 off the retail because I've been a good customer, and they want to keep me coming back.

Some LDS like mine sell a tank that costs a bit more to start, $200, but they give free air for life. Just drop it off and it's free, now and forever. For the extra money you can not beat that deal because if you dive a lot within a short period of time it's like they're paying you to dive. I'm already down to the price I would have paid online, by the end of the year I hope to actually be where it was like they gave it to me.

One of the local shops offers the 10-fill card included, its a $60 value, but they throw it in for $30. Tanks (AL80) are still at least $160 here without any sort of extras, and everyone wants to tack a vis(about $7 around here) onto the tank price.

Furner:
One of the local shops offers the 10-fill card included, its a $60 value, but they throw it in for $30. Tanks (AL80) are still at least $160 here without any sort of extras, and everyone wants to tack a vis(about $7 around here) onto the tank price.

If that deal doesn't include a boot, it is an even deal. Nothing better nothing worse.
Smart aXX LDS.:wink:

There are thousands of used 80s out there - you should be able to find a 2nd-hand one for much cheaper if you look around a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom