Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help. One more question. My wife is also a diver, but has not dove in over a year and wants to do the cenotes. We are staying at Bahia Principe Tulum Is there any shore diving we can do in the area, to get her back to her comfort level that she has had in the past, and just get her back in the water before doing the cenotes?

Thanks

Thanks for all the help. One more question. My wife is also a diver, but has not dove in over a year and wants to do the cenotes. We are staying at Bahia Principe Tulum Is there any shore diving we can do in the area, to get her back to her comfort level that she has had in the past, and just get her back in the water before doing the cenotes?

Thanks
Nothing really in the way of shore diving in the area. Get your wife out with you on a day or two of boat dives and she'll be fine in the cenotes.

Shops in the area run 3, single tank trips a day. If she doesn't want to start out with a deep dive then skip the first dive of the day and go for the 2nd two (you'll have plenty of time for lunch in between these two dives). The onsite shop, Bahia Divers, is actually pretty good and they have some good DMs and instructors.

If it's been a while, maybe consider the "Refresher Course" for your wife. You can usually find this course at either your local dive shop or the onsite dive shop in Akumal. Might be good to review the skills needed if it's been a while. Another idea is to see if your local dive shop has "Pool Practice", where you rent the pool and practice skills. A local shop near my house has "Pool Practice" once a month for $10, includes gear, tanks, weights and the pool. I go at least once or twice before an upcoming trip. Just a suggestion.

Hey Folks... This is a really helpful thread... I'm thinking of taking a group to the region in February for a very short 4-day trip. Cozumel is our stand by option and we love it, but are considering doing something a little different... Advice?
Looking for someplace with good diving that would really work for both newbies and experienced divers... Some will be finishing their certs and some already are advanced divers who want to be wowed. Does Playa Del Carmen offer something worthwhile? Anything further north?

Dive Op and Hotel recs also appreciated.
thanks

Two years ago I spent a week in Akumal diving the cenotes and ocean. My experience was the same as Scubawife and TS&M, not good diving in the ocean. After four dives in the ocean, I spent the rest of the trip diving the cenotes.

If you are not dead set on Akumal, I would consider staying in Playa. The ocean diving was better and you are still close to many cenotes. You can also take a day and easily dive on Cozumel.

Good Luck.
PH

Hi Guys
Great info as usual. We are off to Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya in Akumal in July. Trying to find out who the dive operators are in the hotel. Want to do my rescue diver and so does my 15 yr old son. All and any info gratefully rec'd. Want to get in contact via email with the dive centre before we go.
Thanks in advance of the usual good info!!!

Fullback

Back
Top Bottom