Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there in July. As others said before, it will depend on what your preferences are: from a big AI, traditional hotel, or houses/villas with or without staff. As far as diving, The reefs around Akumal are the best diving on the mainland IMHO. If you want to do a mix of ocean dives and cenotes, I would recommend Dive Akumal (www.akumal.com), send an email to jesus@akumal.com for additional info. If you want to have different operators for each, I used Hidden Worlds (www.hiddenworlds.com) to do seven days of cenotes and would highly recommend both the operation and the guides Che and Jeff. If you email them for information Brian will reply promptly. You must do Dreamgate cenote when you are there.

PM me if you want more details as I too have to dig my information on Akumal with restaurants, hotels,, etc. etc. As a rule I prefer to stay a a non AI and rent a car. The big problem with the AI in Mexico is that once they have your money upfront, the quality of the food suffers dramatically... plus there are so many choices in the area with great food. Driving in the Riviera Maya is very easy and you will find that most everybody is very courteous on the road.

cheers,

I stayed at the Bahia this past July and dove with Bahia Divers. I had a wonderful time, and compared to other All Inclusives in this price range, this hotel was one of my favorites. The people were very nice and accomodating, the food decent, and the beach excellent.
My only complaint, or more like dissatisfaction, was the quality of liquor. If they were going to improve on one thing, then add some quality brand liquor, and charge extra if that what it takes. People were going into town and buying their own, and pouring drinks at dinner out of their own bottle. TACKY. TACKY. but it does beat waking up with a wicked hang over from the Boons Farm they served.
Any other questions about this or the million other AI I've stayed at...PM me, and I'll tell it as it is.
Next trip BTW is Moon Palace Dec 8 -15 th

Regards,
Sandi

Joepilot:
Hey Ron,

I stayed in Playa Del Carmen in a place called "Mom's Hotel" It's not the Waldorf Astoria, but very clean and very cheap. I believe it is about $35 a night with AC. Protec divers is attached and they are phenomenal. I trained with them and can't say enough in their behalf. About 5 blocks down (5minute) walk, you will come to fifth avenue where all the shops are.

They have a web site - Mom's Hotel. Check them out. Clean, friendly and very convenient.

Joe
I too would also have to say that Pro-tec is 5*. I was lucky enought to be one of the last cave divers to be trained by Andreas "Matt" Mattes. He now only trains instructor level. The things that man can do in a cave.......... :dropmouth

We're on our 3rd year of going to Akumal and love it.

Accommodations - We rent a condo at Vista del Mar (www.akumalinfo.com) You can book with VDM and dive with Akumal Dive Adventures. 10% off on the condo and 15% off our your dives if you prepay 4 dives. Additional dives are pay as you go at 15% off. Works out to about $25/tank. Check out Locogringo (www.locogringo.com) for lots of great info on the area, what do to, where to stay, etc.

Diving - It's easy drift dives from a skiff, returing to shore between dives. Dives are at 9:30, 11:30 and 2:30. You can go back to your condo for drink and snack btwn dives. Avg depth is 50-65ft with some as deep as 85ft. Very healthy coral, sponges and fans and lots of very friendly fish and turtles. Great variety or marine life. No "valet diving" here. Set up your gear, take it on and off the boat. The staff usually carries it after the first day, but don't be shocked if they don't. It's not really customary here. Don't miss diving or snorkeling the cenotes. Hidden Worlds is your easiest option. The dive shop can also arrange a private guide to others.

Food - Stock up at the Chedraui in Playa del Carmen on the way down. We usually have breakfast and lunch and a couple dinners a week in the condo. There are 6 restaurants in Akumal, but more in Tulum and PDC if you want. We spend about $45-50 for dinner, drinks, tip for two. You can do cheaper, but we don't watch pennies. Staying on Half Moon Bay all the restaurants are within 5-15 min walk.

Other Activities - Mayan ruins. Tulum, Coba and Balam Ek are the closest. There's also Aktun Chen caves, and a couple marine/eco parks. You can get your tourist fix in PDC or take the ferry to Cozumel.

Akumal is casual, laid back and relaxed. If you need lots of activity and/or nightlife, it may not be for you. For something livelier, you might want PDC or the AI's. The AI's are not really in Akumal. They are down the highway.

RonC, you didn't say what kind of diving you would like to do in Akumal? That may help in recommending accomodations.....some places cater to cave divers and some to OW divers.

hello:
when i was in akumal i dove with the akumal dive shop and had a great time. all open water no cenotes or caverns. i have stayed at las casitas that are near the dive shop and they were great, a condo on half moon bay and finally at club akumal caribe. all were excellent. as far as dining goes i enjoyed que onda the italian resturant the most. whats nice about akumal is you are only 1 hour from the airport.also snorkeling in yal-ku lagoon is great also.
good diving
jimmy

DepthCharge:
I too would also have to say that Pro-tec is 5*. I was lucky enought to be one of the last cave divers to be trained by Andreas "Matt" Mattes. He now only trains instructor level. The things that man can do in a cave.......... :dropmouth

That's Interesting.. we just finished our full cave (iantd & nss-cds), The first 3 days were with Matt, the last three with Mike & Patrick.

Regardless... They're highly recomended by the wife & I (fwiw)

azcaddman:
That's Interesting.. we just finished our full cave (iantd & nss-cds), The first 3 days were with Matt, the last three with Mike & Patrick.

Regardless... They're highly recomended by the wife & I (fwiw)

Your lucky, from what Jana told me, Matt has pretty much shifted to doing only the instructor level. According to her, he may help out if needed, on other courses, but perfers to do instructor level primarily. Just curious, who signed off on your course?

I would really encourage you to forget the AI. There is such great food available and inexpensive.. why limit yourself. Just got back from our third PDC trip. Love it. Dove with Dennis at Diablo Divers... did a cenote and a reef dive with him. Highly recommend him... and he will even pick you up!!! :) Have a great trip.

:dazzler1:
Go to website www.locogringo.com It has fantastic info on Riviera Maya and esp. on Akumal. A little local restraunt with a sand floor called El Cueva del Pescador has truly great seafood. It is about half the price of similar eateries in Playa del Carmen. They only take pesos so change your $ in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom