Akumal Water Temp in Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomoreno

Reaction score
Hello all,

A question about proper wetsuit. I plan to go to Akumal, Mexico during Christmas. How thick of wetsuit should I wear, provided that it will be a four days' diving? A bit about myself: I am sort of skinny so I get cold maybe a bit easier than others.

BTW, Could you also give me some ideas about water temp? both for ocean and cave diving.

Thanks for your information.

I replied to your post in the first thread.

Thanks. And someone else also suggests me to post this message again in this board.

80 - 83 degrees f. Maybe a shorty, if you are prone to cold. If you are there for a short time, bare skin generally works well. If you are there for 6 months, something a lot heavier.

Just came back yesterday. Dove Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Dos Ojos, Cozumel, Akumal, and several other coastal areas. I used a 3/2 full and it served me well. Besides thermal, the full suit also protected me from sunburn, floating fire coral that got broken off because of the storm we had and the 75 degree cenote would have been too chilli for me without one. Water temps were 82-84 average. If you plan multiple dives I would get one. If you plan on 1 dive per day you can probably get away without one. Your call.

I'll be in Coz in a week, what are the air temps and weather like this time of year?

I've cave dived in Akumal the last two years during December and will be leaving again next month for my third year in a row.

For cave diving I wear a 7mm jumpsuit and a cap hood. My buddy (male) can get away with a 5mm and a cap hood.

The dives are long when cave diving and you get chilled easily.

If you're just doing some cavern cenote dives....you'll probably be fine with something lighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom