Akumal here we come!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats great info scubawife...I was going to suggest www.locogringo.com as well. Take the cyber air tour of the coastline. You can click on selected properties to get additional info, etc. It looks like we will be there from May 12 - 22. Perhaps we will see some of you there!

scubawife:
If you are going to dive with Akumal Dive Adventures then Vista del Mar buildings are the best locations. In between their buildings are Half Moon Condos, Lol Kanaaba and Playa Blanca. The casitas at Playa Blanca are small studio.

Great info! Thanks!
Do you know who to contact to check prices and availability for these properties? Most of them are on akumalvacations except Half MoonCondos.

I would really prefer to stay in a condo. I'm trying to convince my hubby that it's actually more cost effective and convenient than a hotel which he should already know because we've done both in the past and he preferred the condo option too. Just being stubborn I guess.

KazInAz:
I have used Akumal Vacations a few times now with great service.
Good to know thanks!

James- Thanks for the link!

Unless you stay at Akumal Beach Resort which has an AI program, a condo will be more economical. There were 3 of us in December and we stopped at Chedraui in PDC on the way down for groceries. We spent about $120 and had breakfast, lunch, snacks, 2 dinners, several gallons of Gatorade, juice, soda, a case of Corona, and a large bottle of rum. We actually had things left over that weren't even open. Dinner for 3 people with about a couple drinks each, entree, sometimes desserts and appetizers, were between $65-90 (depending on what we had). We only went to a restaurant for lunch once and that was about $10pp. Also one breakfast (Turtle Bakery Cafe) and it was about $10pp (cappucino or latte and a full breakfast). You could get something at Mango Cafe for around $5pp for breakfast.

So, if you add up what you'll spend on food, the hotel room isn't really much cheaper if at all. And the advantage of the condo is that you've got a nice balcony for your morning coffee, evening drink and lots of room to spread out. In the hotel you're stuck with just beds and a small balcony. I always prefer a condo or house for dive trips. I'm tired at the end of a day of diving and don't always want to go out.

Just got back from Akumal. I loved it. You should have a good time. I enjoyed going out in the evening and having dinner on the beach as the sun goes down. Then, the room was close by too. Stayed at Akumal Club Carribe. I liked it. The location would be hard to beat. It was so close to the restaurants, the dive shop and the ocean. It will be something to look forward to for you. Make sure you post a report when you get back.

scubawife:
So, if you add up what you'll spend on food, the hotel room isn't really much cheaper if at all. And the advantage of the condo is that you've got a nice balcony for your morning coffee, evening drink and lots of room to spread out. In the hotel you're stuck with just beds and a small balcony. I always prefer a condo or house for dive trips. I'm tired at the end of a day of diving and don't always want to go out.

I absolutely agree scubawife! I was just trying to convince my husband.

BUT in other related news our plans have changed AGAIN!!! :11:
We're going to Key West instead, it's a done deal. I know, doesn't really compare, and not really a dive destination, but oh well. But thank you all for your excellent advice. I will file it away as I'm hoping we will make the trip to Akumal at another time in the not too distant future.

Scubawife- We did get a 1BR suite with a LR and kitchen in key west though! :wink:

scubawife:
Although I prefer to opt for a condo for the space and to not have to go out for every meal, if you prefer hotel you should look at Akumal Beach Resort and Hotel Akumal Caribe. They are on Akumal Bay (south of Half Moon Bay) right by "town" and both have dive shops located next to them. I have not been in the rooms so can't tell you anything about them. If you post on the Riviera Maya board at locogringo you should be able to get lots of feedback on these two hotels. There are also a couple hotels in Puerto Aventuras and a dive shop there. A more Americanized area (gated community sort of place w/condos, hotels, golf course, marina, etc.)

Any more questions, ask away!

I'll be back in Akumal Apr 8th for 4 days then heading over to Cozumel! Haven't been diving since mid-December and I can't wait.

Scubawife is on target with everything. If you decide to get a hotel, I can vouch for Akumal Beach resort. Clean basic rooms. Good water pressure too. They are not luxurious, but a solid 3 star place. The rooms are all ocean view though, so that is a big plus. The food is good (it's all-inclusive) and the beach is exceptional, and even has fair diving right from the beach. There is a shop right next door and the resort has its own shop too.

Great place, and very convenient to town (you can walk there in 3-5 minutes) and Tulum and Playa del Carmen are a 20 minute ride. Take the colectivo's, you'll save a fortune over the cabs and they are 100% safe. Make sure you dive a cenote too; they are awesome.

I was so impressed with the area and the resort my wife and I are going back this summer.

goofygirl:
Okay, our plans have changed a few times, but it looks like we'll be going to Akumal at the end of May!!! So here I am to humbly request your advice...

We're probably staying at Vista Del Mar. Good price and they're available when we're going. Opinions? Good? Bad? Indifferent? Any advice or anecdotes from anyone who has stayed there is welcome.

Now, on to the most important thing, DIVE OP! The dive op connected with Vista Del Mar is Akumal Dive Adventures. Should we dive with them or seek out another op? Are they a "Great dive op", "they will be fine", or an "avoid at all costs" ?
Anyone ever dive with them? If so, any stories to share?

If not Akumal Dive Adventures then who should we dive with?

What's the best way to get from Cancun airport to Akumal? What's the cost of the various options?

Do we need a car in Akumal or is cabbing it around just fine?

Any restaurant recommendations?

Your recommendations helped make our Coz trip last year fantastic, I look forward to hearing all your advice again!
Thanks in advance! :07:

Here's a couple of suggestions:

If you'd like a really nice, laid-back non-touristy snorkel experience take a cab or a longish walk (30 minutes? ) down the road that goes past Akumal to Yal-ku lagoon. It's a fresh water lagoon that connects to the ocean. Facilities are limited - fresh water shower and bathrooms only so bring water and anything else you need. It cost $5 a couple of years ago and the snorkeling is great. At the entry point it is fresh water and there are a lot of small colorful fish and as you swim towad the ocean it becomes salt water and you can see ocean fish as well as turtles, rays etc.

It is very uncrowded. Most of the time we shared the water with 3-4 other people. Occasionally a tourist van would show up but they would stay for 20 miutes and leave and it was only 6-8 people anyway.

We spent several hours there. There's shade under trees as well as sunny spots. It's similar to Xel-ha without the touristy stuff. Oh, you'll need to bring your ouw gear as well. When you are ready to leave, walk down the road about 7 minutes to the Que Honda hotel and ask the bartender to call you a cab - or else walk back . do a search on Google and I'm sure you'll find info on this great spot.

Visit Tulum - it's very nice place. It's only 1/2 hr or so south on the main highway. We did all our travelling using the "collectivos" which are vans that run from Playa del Carmen south. The rides will only cost 10 - 20 pesos per person and it's an interesting experience. You go out to the highway and wait. Within 10 minutes you'll see a van coming and he'll flash his lights. Wave at him and he'll stop. Just tell him where to drop you off. For Tulum say LAS RUINAS (the ruins) to distinguish from the town of Tulum which is a little further south. Once he drops you off walk toward the ocean on the road and you'll very quickly see a couple of shops. You can purchase a round trip on a trolly to the entrance for a $1.50 or so (or you can walk - about 10 minutes). Be sure to go early as the tour busses from Cancun show up about 12pm and then it gets crowded. 9am is perfect. Bring swim suits and towels as there is a beautiful little beach there and if it's hot you'll appreciate a dip after walking around the site. You should either bring or buy a guide book or hire a guide ($15-25?) to get the most out of the experience. You can share a guide with other groups to reduce the cost.

Playa Del Carmen to the North of Akumal about 15-20 minutes is the place to go for shopping and there are some good restaurants there. You can take the collectivo there as well. Just say Playa and stay on till the end of the ride. The ride ends in the middle of town next to a small park about two blocks west of the main shopping street (Fifth St I think ). To go back find your way back to the park. They leave every 10 -15 minutes.

I hope you find this helpful.
Ed

PS Here's a couple of views of Yal-Ku Lagoon

Overhead showing relationship to Half Moon Bay
http://www.akumal-riviera-maya.com/airtourakumal.htm

Closeup showing entrance location
http://www.locogringo.com/destinations/front-snorkel-ipix.html

Virtual Tour
http://www.locogringo.com/destinations/front-snorkel-ipix.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom