Akumal Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before the time warp I asked a member about their experience at the Akumal Beach Club. I can't remember who it was and the post has disappeared.
Anyone have info to share? I am thinking about going in August.

Lovely beach, dive shop nearby, walk to bars and restaurants. It's AI, with all that AI implies. Some love it; some hate it. Food isn't great; cha-cha lessons on the beach (not literally, but you know what I mean); shows at night. If that's what you want, prices are certainly good. Check out Locogringo.com. Lot's of info on ABR there.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Sounds like the same ole....same ole as far as AIs. Anything about the place that really turned you off?

Dectek:
Anything about the place that really turned you off?
I stayed there in May of this year. The resort itself is pretty nice and the beach is great to lounge. The snorkeling is very nice, we saw plenty of turtles, barracuda and eels. The food was decent, but after a few days, you want something else. We only stayed there for 3 days as we headed down to Tulum for a few more nights. The thing that turned me off was the sheets had a funky smell to them, probably from the moisture, the AC in the room isn't the best. Other than that, we had a nice time. For the price we paid, I would stay there again.
Enjoy your trip. Don't forget to go to Lucy's Taco (in the Akumal town center) for some shrimp tacos or homemade ice cream!

Here's a pic of the beach.
ABR.JPG

yeah i was there in may as well...all in all for the price it was well worth the money...the dive shop as great, people were friendly, the food did get old but Akumal has some great little resturaunts to check out.

If you want a hotel but not all the AI shlock, Hotel Akumal Caribe is another option. www.hotelakumalcaribe.com There are also several nice condo buildings on Half Moon Bay, which is always my preference for Akumal trips.

Thanks for the info folks. My wife and I love Akumal and have been there a couple times. My wife likes to do the AI thing on vacation because she is a picky eater and is allergic to onions. (No cebollas Por favor). The AI's usually have a buffet where she can pick and choose. I hate going to a restaurant and have her push away a meal that contains onions even after being assured that it contained none before ordering. In the US I have absolutely no problem sending the meal back but when out of the country I have a hard time because most mistakes can be chalked up to a communication problem. Ironically her favorite place to travel (Mexico) is a place where everyone cooks EVERYTHING with onions.

When travelling, we usually like to stay in more "local" places with their own kitchens, etc, but when we are in Akumal we have really enjoyed Akumal Beach Resort. As stated above, the beach is incredible, snorkelling is great, and the rooms all face the ocean and are a stone's throw from the water.

Akumal Beach Resort is not the same old, same old AI. Its Italian owned, and has a European flavor. Its relatively small and unassuming. The food is pretty good, but as you know, there are great restaurants nearby, as well as in Playa del Carmen. The convenience of a good breakfast buffet, bottled water, a good pool, and other amenities make it worthwhile.

If you want to stay at an AI that doesn't feel like the typical giant, never leave the grounds AI, ABR will make you happy. If you want luxurious lobby area, a choice of restaurants, super fancy pools with swim up bars, tons of amenities, elevators, late night disco parties, etc, then ABR isn't the ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom